Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0301 & P0313 code help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:45 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0301 & P0313 code help

joined this forum because I'm always having questions concerning my mini, and my brother who's a mechanic constantly tells me join a mini forum and ask people who know said car. so randomly my 02 Cooper S started misfiring, jolting, not dying but had no power a weird tick, and wasn't really going anywhere. didn't feel like all 4 cylinders were working.. I replaced the spark plugs and coil box, seems to have helped a little but the check engine light came back on the next day. the codes it threw were P0301 & P0313, cyl 1 misfire & misfire w/ low fuel, any suggestions on what it could be? Completely separate and scary issue, my overflow tank isn't holding coolant. I've replaced 3 corroded hoses and I don't see it leaking anywhere it just won't hold it.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
How many miles on the engine? With a misfire and coolant vanishing, may have a head gasket issue and the coolant is going out the exhaust. Oil is not like a chocolate milkshake is it?

Old 06-24-2018, 04:38 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
How many miles on the engine? With a misfire and coolant vanishing, may have a head gasket issue and the coolant is going out the exhaust. Oil is not like a chocolate milkshake is it?

i dont know if it makes any difference but the car has 131xxx and the engine isn't origional it has about 110xxx on it. Would there be any signs or evidence if the coolant was coming out of the exhaust? i actually read on this forum somewhere that someone had a similar issue with coolant disappearing fixed by replacing the thermostat and housing I'm hoping my symptoms are close to that same issue. The oil looks completely normal, not milky or watery or anything. the fan kicks on what I feel like is way too often, and lately (but not always) it idles roughly. Mind you I live in California and all these problems arose last week after our first 100 + temp day

Old 06-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Also I was told by the guy I bought it from that this year (02) doesn't have a temperature gauge so I'm never sure how to check if it's running hot, my 05 was different in that aspect.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
If there is no coolant gauge then would think you have the old idiot light. I am thinking you can bring the temperature up on your ECU by following some instructions in the below thread, item # 17. If that does not work you can buy HUDs for less than $30 that usually have a temperature function.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html

Old 06-24-2018, 04:58 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
If there is no coolant gauge then would think you have the old idiot light. I am thinking you can bring the temperature up on your ECU by following some instructions in the below thread, item # 17. If that does not work you can buy HUDs for less than $30 that usually have a temperature function.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html

wow that thread was was really helpful especially the link at the bottom of #17 I had no idea you could do all that, it makes me think I can reset something on my computer, for some reason my "trip" always reads some random numbers and "outside temp" ALWAYS reads -41 and well it has never been that cold here 😂 I'm a little worried if I don't get the whole, push the button x amount of times, do this then that, can I somehow mess up the computer making a wrong move? 🤔 As for the possible head gasket, I'm going to buy a test for it tomorrow morning to test for something in the coolant, or that's what was suggested anyways.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
I don't think you can screw up the ECU by doing the steps noted above.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:23 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
I don't think you can screw up the ECU by doing the steps noted above.
seems it won't let me in I must be doing something wrong. I scroll to 19, let it sit, when it flashed Lon or Loff I click reset button at Loff and it just kicks me right back to the screen where it shows my mileage if that makes sense

Old 06-24-2018, 05:32 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
I got in and found coolant temp, my car has been off for about a good hour, coolant temp reads 56, should I do that test with the car on or off? just did it with the car off. also, what should the normal temp be if you might know?

Old 06-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
That is Celsius. I wrote this up a while back:

OK, the Mini Cooper Coolant systems functions as follows; low speed fan switches on at 221 and the high speed switches on at 234. When the AC is on, the low speed switches on when the system pressure is at 116 PSI with the high speed switching on when the system pressure reaches 261 PSI. The high speed fan will run without the AC being on if the set point of 234 is reached. On the Gen1 car, you can bring up the coolant temperature inside the car (will read in Centigrade) with the set points being 105 and 112. The cut off is 7 F below the cut in.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
That is Celsius. I wrote this up a while back:OK, the Mini Cooper Coolant systems functions as follows; low speed fan switches on at 221 and the high speed switches on at 234. When the AC is on, the low speed switches on when the system pressure is at 116 PSI with the high speed switching on when the system pressure reaches 261 PSI. The high speed fan will run without the AC being on if the set point of 234 is reached. On the Gen1 car, you can bring up the coolant temperature inside the car (will read in Centigrade) with the set points being 105 and 112. The cut off is 7 F below the cut in.
Thanks for that, very helpful. also something I did from reading that thread was this
" 14.0 - 14.4 On board diagnostic codes. eg 000000 = no failures "
14.0-14.4 all read a series of numbers and none 00000, I wrote them down, are they significant in anyway? How can I check what it means if it means anything at all. again thanks for all the help