Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Lighting bulb upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 08:05 PM
littlebluecoop1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm investigating upgrading the 55w H7's to 100w and BMW mini won't tell me if the wire size is adequate for the 100w highs. I'm not to surprised that they won't/can't, just wondered if any of you autoelectric guys/gals have any first hand knowledge. I suppose I could do the math on the size with wattage/volts but this is easier, and frankly more fun.

Back in my Pro-rallye days we ran everything off relay's, but that was usually because we trashed the electrics anyways, and that was Datsun 510 coupes and 4 doors. The rice burner crews were pretty cheesley on that sort of stuff.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

R/LBC1

Old 11-26-2002, 05:26 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Seriously, I wouldn't even try running 100 Watt bulbs in a system that comes with 55 Watt. I mean why take the risk of totally crisping your wireharness (and not just the harness for the lights, but the entire harness). Save yourself the potential massive headache and either run larger wires in parallell with the factory harness and use relays OR just add some driving lights wired up seperately OR just try better bulbs (like the philips vision plus).

I have just seen too many people that tried running higher wattage bulbs with other cars and wound up with a large bill because of the expensive harness and all the labor involved.

my $0.02

Old 11-26-2002, 06:40 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
You may want to consider the Hella H7 + 50% bulb we carry - same bulb wattage, but 50% more power. These are used in Germany quite a bit. Remember that the Mini has 6 separate bulbs: 2 low beam bulbs, 2 high beam bulbs and 2 driving lamp buls (if you have driving lamps of course). I have also heard somewhere that Mini changed their bulbs to H11's on the 2003+ Minis (?)

-Peter/Rspeed

Old 11-26-2002, 06:42 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Low Beam Halogens: H7
High Beam Halogens: H7
Fogs: H11

Old 11-26-2002, 01:03 PM
littlebluecoop1
1st Gear
Thanks Pete, if I read you correctly, they are 55watt but are higher lumen output? How'd they do that?

Also, any warranty against the proverbial "frying of the wiring"?

Almost lastly, who/how can we raise the lighting pattern a touch. I can't find any alignment screws to do that.

And lastly, so how many DM are we talking here including postage and stuff?

R/LBC

Old 11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
littlebluecoop1
1st Gear
I totally agree, that's why I thought to ask first and save the frying for later.

With the new electrics on these cars it's not like the "old" days I was speaking about. Smoking my MCS's spagetti ain't what I'm into.

R/LBC

Old 11-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will fry your wiring harness. I tried something like that on my LR Defender 90 and found that the power from a 12V car battery has amazing potential when too much juice is run through "fused link" wiring.

Quite simply, you would be amazed at how much blue smoke can be released in about 3 seconds. This happened to me when I replaced an alternator and my helpful friend decided to give his assistance by re-connecting the battery backwards. One quick turn of the key and my vehicle's wiring harness went up in a cloud of blue smoke.

You would not believe how much it cost me to find someone who was propery trained and skilled to put all that blue smoke back into the car's electrical system!

Old 11-26-2002, 02:04 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supposedly the MINI has a reverse polarized battery indicator if I remember correctly.

This happened to me when I replaced an alternator and my helpful friend decided to give his assistance by re-connecting the battery backwards.

Old 11-26-2002, 08:28 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Did not like the output of my stock non-xenon headlites and replaced with philips vision plus bulbs. Lite output seems to be much better and I don't have to worry about the potential warranty issue if something went wrong ............ but I replaced stock low and high beam bulbs in my 02 Exployer with high wattage piaa's and after 18 months have not had a problem.

Old 11-27-2002, 05:40 PM
MINIACK
3rd Gear
My dealership is selling bulb upgrades. The bulbs say 100w on the side of the package. I asked about the warranty... They said no problem, however the dealer also said that they were 55w bulbs. Apperenty BMW dealers have been selling them for years. I took a close look at them and on the bulb itself it has no wattage/voltage rating. Sorry I don't rememver the brand name. I also asked about xenon bulbs rated for 80w/12v that put out power like a 100w bulb. They assured me that they are okay. I've been running these bulbs in my other car for about 2 years and have not had any problems.

I am still worred that they would do something to the MINI. Any ideas what unseen damage may be happening?

Old 12-13-2002, 08:28 PM
littlebluecoop1
1st Gear
GIMMIE A SET . . . NOW!!!!!!!!!!
I'm ordering from you guys tonite

Thanks,
LBC1