Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

How are your cars surviving 120+ in Phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Tanner Stinson
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are your cars surviving 120+ in Phoenix?

Hello! As my profile says, I currently live in Gilbert, Arizona, and on my commute home I often get struck in traffic (if you know the 101/60... you know) and my temp needle has a habit of skyrocketing up. It happens during both stop and go, and at red lights. With AC off, it's about 20 seconds, AC on it is almost instant, so I now have a habit of driving without AC. I plan on doing a coolant flush either tonight or Thursday, but I cant imagine that is the only possible solution.

Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket fans? It's only when I am at a standstill, and above 108 degrees.

Thanks!

-Tanner

Old 06-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Definitely do the flush and bleed on the coolant. Might have some air in the system.

Check to make sure the electric fan is working. That’s a critical component when in stop and go mode. That regulator has a tendency to fail. New fan from TYC on Amazon is less than $70 I recall.

In a pinch and to make you extra toasty, you can also bleed off some heat by turning on your heater. Think of it as an supplementary radiator. 😄

Also would be wise to inspect the power steering fan too.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Tanner Stinson
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zsm

Definitely do the flush and bleed on the coolant. Might have some air in the system.

Check to make sure the electric fan is working. That’s a critical component when in stop and go mode. That regulator has a tendency to fail. New fan from TYC on Amazon is less than $70 I recall.

In a pinch and to make you extra toasty, you can also bleed off some heat by turning on your heater. Think of it as an supplementary radiator. 😄

Also would be wise to inspect the power steering fan too.

Thanks for the quick response,

Electric fan is definitely working- It also stays on high when I am parked, car off. My housemate that lives above the garage is not too happy about it when I come home late

I haven't actually thought about using the heater as a supplemental, but it makes sense!

Power steering fan is also good.

-Tanner

Old 06-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
The electric fan has a two stage regulator. If you have A/C on, the fan turns on right away at stage one (both radiator and power steering). You can verify that next time you start the car.

If no fan and the temps rise due to stop and go, there's a delay and now your car is struggling to maintain temps and kicks the fan on high. We went through this a couple of years ago and found the fan would not turn on until the coolant temp was triggering the high speed circuit.

Now, when the kid comes home, the fan rarely kicks on after he shuts down the car. It doesn't get nearly as hot as AZ here, but can get into the 90s. Before we changed the fan, it was roaring for a good 5 mins after he got home.

Edit: I don't have enough experience with the water pump, but that could also be a component to consider too.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:30 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
If you tint your windows, it drastically lowers the interior temperature.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Tanner Stinson
2nd Gear
I am currently working on flushing coolant and putting new collant in, however this just got really fun

Only half a gallon of coolant came out of the system. Half a gallon. As of just under a week ago, it was full.

I also found a leak along the front side of the engine, right side. Right about under the intake runner for cylinder 4. I am trying to figure it out without taking the manifold off because it is a million degrees in my garage, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew before I have work tomorrow.

-Tanner

Edit: It's just a coolant line rupture thank god. Gonna seal it good while I order the part

Last edited by Tanner Stinson; 06-26-2018 at 02:01 PM.