Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

coolant still disappearing ;(

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolant still disappearing ;(

After changing spark plugs/wires/coil pack and about 4 hoses in the intercooling system, all symptoms went away and my 02 Cooper S was running soo strong all day I was so sure it was fixed. oddly enough go to leave this morning, misfire came back along with check engine light and bone dry coolant overflow tank :/ aside from anything to do with a head, (I hope the engine block test I did was right coming back negative) what should I look for? the misfire is in cyl 1 and I don't know where the coolant is going, but it is making it into the radiator as far as I can tell. the fans seem to be kicking on way too often for short trips to the gas station/store etc so obviously its hotter than it should be under there

Old 06-27-2018, 04:47 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Andryiakathlene
After changing spark plugs/wires/coil pack and about 4 hoses in the intercooling system, all symptoms went away and my 02 Cooper S was running soo strong all day I was so sure it was fixed. oddly enough go to leave this morning, misfire came back along with check engine light and bone dry coolant overflow tank :/ aside from anything to do with a head, (I hope the engine block test I did was right coming back negative) what should I look for? the misfire is in cyl 1 and I don't know where the coolant is going, but it is making it into the radiator as far as I can tell. the fans seem to be kicking on way too often for short trips to the gas station/store etc so obviously its hotter than it should be under there
Did you get rid of the air bubbles? I used to have problem with my R53 overheating when i replaced the Supercharger, cooling system hoses and thermostat housing, bleeding wasn't enough, raising 1 side of the car to get rid of bubbles didn't work so i bought the tools to evacuate the system by pulling vacuum, after i evacaute the cooling system its back to normal but never experience misfiring.

Last edited by drea-min; 06-27-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Mispelled
Old 06-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
We did burp it after flushing it I'm not too sure if that did the job enough now that I know that could possibly be an issue 🤔 If there were air bubbles would it cause the coolant to disappear?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
Have you pressure-tested the system (15 lb.)? Did you bleed the system at both bleed screws?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:31 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Andryiakathlene
We did burp it after flushing it I'm not too sure if that did the job enough now that I know that could possibly be an issue 🤔 If there were air bubbles would it cause the coolant to disappear?
I remember i keep adding coolant before. I thought i had a leak on head gasket due to constant overheating.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:34 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Have you pressure-tested the system (15 lb.)? Did you bleed the system at both bleed screws?
I have not pressure tested it, how would I go about that? And actually we only bled it from one screw

Old 06-27-2018, 05:36 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drea-min
I remember i keep adding coolant before. I thought i had a leak on head gasket due to constant overheating.
i was thinking head gasket too maybe but I bought a test to test for carbon monoxide in the coolant and it came back negative and I was told that means no head gasket problem. Fingers crossed

Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
my other dying question is if the coolant disappearing and the misfire are related or two seperate issues 😩 Because of all the warped and broken hoses, and my spark plugs/wires being garbage I was sure they were two seperate issues but after changing all of it and still having both problems I'm thinking they might be related

Old 06-27-2018, 07:55 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
See if you can borrow or rent a pressure tester from AutoZone, Advance Auto or O'Reilly.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Andryiakathlene
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
See if you can borrow or rent a pressure tester from AutoZone, Advance Auto or O'Reilly.
I just looked into that, i do see slightly different test like radiator pressure test, fuel pressure test.. which should I try in specific? I just went for a drive, had to fill with coolant the overflow was empty, I can definitely smell the coolant burning somewhere while I drive, definitely from the front not the exhaust. Got home and it was dry again. just a short 3 miles to the store and back. Had to pull over because the misfire wouldn't stop on my way home. at this point I don't think I'm gonna drive it till I find out why it's burning it I don't wana risk further damage 😩