Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cyl head rebuilt engine running very rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018 | 03:36 PM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
I think something else is going on. I replaced the o2 sensors and that didn’t fix it. Engine runs in closed loop from cold start. Ecu is instructing this command because of some other problem. I did get a misfire in #3 which was the bad cylinder that blew out an exhaust valve. I had head repaired at shop. Also had injectiors tested and cleaned. Not sure what else I can do at this point. Compression is on the low end, especially for just getting head rebuilt, but still acceptable. Again numbers are 135 130 118 135. Bentley manual said 8-12 bar with no more than 3 bar difference so I’m still within acceptable range. I think... Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 07-25-2018 | 05:41 PM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
Bump

Old 07-26-2018 | 07:22 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Can you post a picture of the locking pin in the flywheel?

Old 07-26-2018 | 09:31 AM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
Pin in crank

Thanks for the post man. Don’t have a photo. If the concern is about the pin being fully in and locking crank, it was. I’ve had to do this before I know how that pin slides in. The crank was locked. I’m sure of it. Thanks man. I’m gonna run it for a bit longer today. Gonna throttle it a bit to see if I can get some codes to come up. Also gonna get a leak down test done. My poo poo compressor won’t get high enough. Ugh...

Old 07-26-2018 | 09:40 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I know you know what you're doing just had to ask because I went to a guy who had similar symptoms and swore he locked the crank and got the locking tools all snug. When i double check his work, he had it set-up 180 degrees out.

Now the crazy part was when we reset the timing, the car was still acting the same!!!! I plugged in ISTAD and ran through the codes and procedures to diagnose them. All of a sudden, it smoothed out! Whaaaat, it did and still is running smooth. Now it runs ok but he needs walnut blasting. He mentioned to me that there was a hair line crack in the PCV pipe.

Do you have ISTAD?

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:51 AM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
No software

i don’t have the bmw software. I tried ordering through b cables a long time ago but couldn’t get it to load or work on my laptop.
My PCV pipe was cracked big time. I caught it when disassembling engine. I pulled the jacket back and it was in two pieces. Full of gunk. So bad. I should’ve ordered a new one but I just cleaned it and gorilla taped the hell out of it. It could still have a crack I missed but I don’t think this is my issue. But at least it’s something to check! Thanks! I’m ordering a leak down kit today. I’ll know if, where, and how much each cylinder is leaking. Man... Back to square 1.

Old 07-26-2018 | 11:04 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Sometimes you need to go back 1 step in order to move 3 steps forward. You're also learning through the process.

How do the spark plugs look in terms of residue? Are they/or any wet when you leave the car over night? Can you look through the holes and see if the pistons are dry or wet? (Just to see if you have a leaky injectors).

That software is gold and a must have man. Try to source one asap before you go nuts.

Old 07-26-2018 | 11:14 AM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
Man I wish I had the software. Maybe I’ll try b cables again. Last time I checked plugs they were dry. I did send out the fuel injectors and rail to be tested and cleaned. I was told they were good. All the clips and seals were replaced.

Old 07-26-2018 | 11:16 AM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
Has anyone heard of maybe having adaptation values reset? Could this help?

Old 07-31-2018 | 06:28 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
ISTAD I think can reset the adaptation. I have another SW i use it is called Delphia Autocom DS150E

Old 08-03-2018 | 02:37 PM
shanksamillion
|
3rd Gear
Update!

Progress is slow. Fearing the cyl head wasn’t sealing up after machine shop repair (because of low compression values -135 130 116 138), I did leakdown test. Numbers were pretty consistent with about 8%-12% on all four. No surprise #3 was the highest at 12%. That was the cyl with blown exhaust valve. My concern with the test is that my tester only went up to 30psi when leak gauge calibrated at zero. I’ve read this is okay and that it still tells you where air leaks but it’s just harder to hear.
I’m wondering if the test at 30psi is okay. Would a test at 100psi show more leakage? Seems to me any leakage would be greatly increased at the much higher psi. Like would my 12% go up to 20%? 30%? Or higher?
Second question: The center bolt of cyl head cover on timing chain side is stripped. The machine shop was supposed to fix it but they missed it. I just didn’t think it would effect the way it runs. I thought it’d just leak a bit of oil. Could this be the cause of rough running? I’m thinking not because when you pull the pcv air hose off it wants to die, but by simply covering the end with hand engine goes back to smooth idle even though the pcv hose isn’t attached. I remember this from when I did a sea foam treatment. Let me be clear, this only applies to a good running engine not mine in current condition. Even if this bolt not tightening down doesn’t effect anything I’m thinking I need to pay to have a smoke test done. I wish they sold like a can of smoke that was safe for engine that one could use. Machines are too damn expensive.