Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Red brake light and mini on lift but no code

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Swestes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red brake light and mini on lift but no code

2008 MCS. A couple of days ago I got a ding along with the red mini on a lift and the brake light when I turn the car on. Problem is there is no codes to tell me where to look. Anybody else have this issue?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:35 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
The owner's manual has a description of all of the various lights, symbols, etc.

Your car is telling you that the brake pad sensor has worn through and it is time to replace your brake pads (probably front) and maybe rotors. Possibly, depending on the exact combination of lights, that the brake fluid is low. Get your brakes checked and serviced as required by a competent mechanic if you don't know how to deal with it yourself.

There are plenty of threads here on how to service the brakes, or see our forum vendors for parts and how-to articles if you want to DIY.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:24 AM
Swestes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply SkiBum, I'm still trying to figure out my oil loss issue too.

I am asking about the codes though. Should the brake cel throw a code?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
The "Check Engine Light" (CEL) is specific to the engine OBD2 codes that you can read from the ECU with a basic code reader.

The brake warning light is completely separate, To read any fault codes from the ABS/DSC controller you need a BMW/MINI specific scan tool. I have the Schwaben/Foxell one from ECS Tuning, but you don't need to cough up the big bucks to do some basic diagnostics, and you barely need to get your hands dirty.

1) look up the specific combination of warning lights that you are getting in your owner's manual to figure out what your car is telling you.
2) check your brake fluid level. When was it last changed?
3) remove the wheels on one side of the car and check your brake pads. How much pad material remains? Is the sensor worn through?