Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

how many times have you brought your car in for the same problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Pat W
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many times have you brought your car in for the same problem.

My power steering keeps going out. blowing a fuze somewhere. dealer keeps replacing it or trying simple fix. this is the 4th time I have had my powersteering go out and brought it to the dealer to get fixed. The stearing keeps going out while going straight on the freeway or today it went out on an on ramp. I am getting sick of it. I think if it goes out one more time after this I am going to push lemon laws. 5 times for the same thing would just be way to many. It is giving me a headache.

Just about ready to sell my mini and buy something I can work on. A classic mini.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
C4
Banned
Well a classic Mini is a much bigger pain in the *** and add to that the wonderful Lucas electrics and you'll be in for the time of your life...

It seems to me you have an incompetent dealer. Time to bring your MINI to a different dealership. Try that before giving up on the car.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 PM
lotsie
Banned
Never.Things have been fixed first time
That fuse issue is fixed with a new wireing harness,and seperate fuss I believe.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:06 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
My brand new 05 JCW MCS went in with just over 100 miles on the clock and it never came back to me. I've now ordered a replacement 05 JCW MCS, but I'm not feeling very confident with MINI/BMW at the moment (even had the loaner BMW car they gave us break down too! ). I love the MINI so much that I'm going to give it one more chance. However, if the next one gives me any problems, I'll probably never buy another BMW product again. I've always had VWs in the past (6 of them over the years) and have never had any real problems with them. My first ever MINI/BMW didn't even make it to 200 miles! I hope MINI's quality control is really better than what I've experienced and that my car was just a fluke. Maybe the folks putting together my car had a bad tea time.

BTW, the main reason I'm sticking things out with MINI is due to my dealership. They've been absolutely AWESOME to me through all of this and are bending over backwards for me (as perhaps they should). I just hope MINI USA acts the same way once they get involved.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:18 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
My brand new 05 JCW MCS went in with just over 100 miles on the clock and it never came back to me.
Do you mind sharing with us why it died with only 100 miles on the clock.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:26 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sndwave
What he said

Earl

Old 11-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Pat W
2nd Gear
well my car has had the wiring harness fix installed. that was 2 times ago. last time it blew a different fuze. and this time I couldn't even find a fuze that was associated with the power steering. both 5a fuzes for the cooling fans were fine. unfortunatly there is only one dealer in my area. At first they told me I must be steering it to hard. Isn't this car supost to be good on the twisties? Well every single time it has gone out was on a straight stretch of freeway in traffic at about 40 mph. I keep my fingers crossed. I love the car. but if it keeps doing this and is out of warrenty I don't want to deal with this.

To tell you the truth. I am a very copetent mechanic by hobby. I have restored old cars and they are fun and a joy to work on. If I had the manual with the wiring harness I am sure I would have had the problem fixed myself by now. A fuze blows for a reason. first it may be a bad fuze. but if it does it again you must check your load. I susspect a bad PS pump or a bad fan motor that is drawing to much load and is getting worse.

the first time I brought it in was about 4 months ago. then the fuse blew 2 months later. then one month later. then within a week. Every time they clame to fix something either a plug or a new wiring harness. why don't they just go for the part that is on the other end of the circuit?

Old 11-10-2004, 09:32 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pat W, I would suggest that you purchase the Bentley manual for the MINI. Since you are mechanical, perhaps you could figure out the problem yourself and fix it. I know that's ridiculous for a car under warranty, but since your dealership seems inept, maybe it would be worth it to you. And if you decide to sell your MINI, you can include the manual in the sale.

Sorry about your problems!

Clover

Old 11-10-2004, 11:19 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sndwave
Not at all...

Just after we picked up the car, my wife noticed that the passenger side seat was a bit loose. When I took a look at the seat, I noticed that one of the rear bolts was popped up and about to fall out. I pulled up on it lightly with my hand and it just came out. Well, it turns out that the factory had stripped out the nut where the bolt screwed down into the body pan and they actually tried to fix/hide it by sticking a helicoil on it (which obviously didn't work). The dealer was unable to fix the problem and said that the car had to be sent out to a body shop, but due to the possible safety issues involved, MINI USA had to be notified. This was also a HUGE safety concern for us since it is possible that the seat could break off in a sever accident and kill the occupant. I'm very glad we noticed it!

And, if that wasn't enough, the Service Engine Soon light went on as well as the DSC light and the whole toggle panel blew out (couldn't lock/unlock the doors, open the windows, turn on the fog lights, etc.). The dealer said that the BC1 module had blown on the car and ordered a new one (which took forever to get). Well, apparently it just kept popping the new module and/or toggle panels (they went through two or three of them trying to find out the problem). After taking the car apart, the dealer said that the car had some serious wiring issues (they speculated that the car might have been used by MINI to train their mechanics, but I find that really hard to believe). After finding this out, my wife and I were really worried that the car might catch fire due to an electrical short of some sort (or possibly leave us stranded somewhere).

Thus, we requested that the car be replaced and our dealer agreed that it should be (without any argument at all). They are now working with us to get a replacement MCS.

The whole thing really sucks as the original car was absolutely beautiful (and was fast as all heck with the JCW on it). We really hated to give it up, but who wants a brand new car with all of those flaws and who knows what else could possibly be wrong with it???

I guess that we just got a lemon is all. I keep telling myself that it was a fluke and that MINI has good quality control. We'll just have to see I guess..

Old 11-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Minor repeat issue only...

I have a 2002 S. My trip computer was giving MPGs that were 30%+ off of actual. Not a big deal, so I waited until the first service. They drove it 2 miles, and said it was about the same as other Ss they had. Can we say undertested? Anyway, I told them I wasn't satisfied with the answer at all and to write that down in my service record (which they didn't).
I logged over 5000 miles of data, and took it in for the 2nd service. That was a fun conversation! Anyway, no resolution (they claimed it was a defective fuel sensor somewhere, that was replaced). And no improvement. Anyway, I just did the MTH software upgrade, and either I reset the computer or the EPROM upload wrote over the scale numbers in the computer.
Turns out there is a three digit number in the computer that scales the calculated gas milage. The frustrating thing was that Mini of Mountain View didn't know anything about it! I read about it in a link to a MINI2 thread in the MTH how to thread.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Missy
1st Gear
My '03 MINI (43,000 mi) has been in the shop 16 times in the past 2 years. 6 stumbling/stalling issues-not resolved yet. Power windows both sides, 2 times each. Battery discharging problem 2x's. Other funky concerns for the rest. Currently scheduled for Nov. 23 for the emissions recall and pass. window/ door (they are completely unable to open).

My 1974 Mini (144,000 k), hmmm, 1 time in to adjust the carb. and a few oil changes in the past year and half . This is also a daily driver and picks me up at the dealer when '03 is acting up again, and again, and....

Old 11-12-2004, 06:45 PM
UnMini
2nd Gear
Two times, both cause the airbag warning light went off. That´s about it, fortunatly I got a good unit.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:41 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
7 times for issues related to rough idle/stalling/near stalling. Wiring harness failed and replaced, and I’ve had the same issues as those discussed above, re: the windows not opening (or, once the car was “fixed,” opening by themselves, without being “asked”!), also: dashboard lights (all of them) and warning chime flashing for no (apparent) reason, while driving. I’ve given up on all of these problems- the dealer simply is not able to resolve them.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:00 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Re: how many times have you brought your car in for the same problem.

I'm with MINI USA. I’m sorry to read about this problem with your power steering. We are here to work with you and your Dealer, and we'd like to help. If you would like our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK.MINI and mention Reference #200432100401 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:07 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I want to work for MINI USA and read NAM all day waiting for a chance to post...

Old 11-16-2004, 12:21 PM
mcswrks
6th Gear
The only mechanical problems weve had, was one day suddenly the airbag warning light appears. Car was taken into service, and the next day or so we were told that it was a "major mechanical/electronic malfuntion". Then as days progressed, the guys at global imports didnt know how to fix it and had to contact miniusa, "engineers in oxford" and so on. I was told that the abs and dsc was out, the airbags werent functioning, and neither were seat belt pre tensioners, along with various electronic devices. The problem was fixed hassle free, we got the car back about a week later. Anyone else have the same deal?