Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2013 Mini Cooper S Oil Filter (missing) and coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:56 AM
F34R
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Mini Cooper S Oil Filter (missing) and coolant leak

Ok, I'm dump, and I openly admit it.

This is a 2013 Mini Cooper S, with jcw trim badge, so, it's not the realy jcw.

I've watched videos on youtube, and looked through the article here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nge-oil-431461

... and I still can't locate the dang oil filter. I need to change the oil, permitting the ramps I bought are high enough so I can even get to the oil drain plug. The only car shop in my local city that will even change the oil didn't even change the oil filter last time. So, I've gone almost 18,000 miles with the same oil filter. I removed the coolant reservoir, and still don't see the oil filter. I could be looking right at it?

Closest mini shop is two hours from me. I will have to take the dang car to them eventually since I'm looking coolant now, and can't seem to see any leaks, and nothing pooling on the ground. Takes about a week to be out of fluid, four days driving around 400 miles total.

The sticker under the hood, shows N18. Just for giggles, the brackets that hold the faux chrome piece around the front just under the hood... broke, so my chrome piece is off. Also the piece that fills the area in the back bumper, around the mufflers, gone too. Nothing hit, it just fell off one day.

Anyways.. can someone help me with this please? I'm ready to just hit my head with the wrenches lol.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:08 AM
F34R
1st Gear
The oil filter part can be ignored. I WAS looking at it. smdh. I was having some focus issues (due to brain injury). So, never mind that lol.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
...beat me to it by seconds.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 AM
F34R
1st Gear
I'm guessing the link was in reference to the leak. I probably didn't do well in explaining that. It's the anti-freeze (coolant) leak somewhere.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:23 AM
F34R
1st Gear
Can't really move the coolant expansion tank much out of the way. There is a short hose connected to it that keeps me from barely moving it away from the mounting area.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Expansion tank/oil filter access

You have to kind of lift and pivot the coolant expansion tank out of the way, then bungee it or tie it out of the way with mechanics wire or something similar. There is just enough slack in that lower hose to BARELY get it out of the way. You may notice a couple of coolant drips from that hose where it connects to the tank when you do this. Not a biggie, mine always stops dripping once it is back into position. My guess on the coolant leak is the thermostat housing and/or o-ring seal. A leak there will often pool up on top of the transmission, and burn off before actually leaving a puddle on the ground. Search "thermostat housing leak" or something similar to that, you should find many articles on the subject.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:00 AM
F34R
1st Gear
Originally Posted by renchjeep
You have to kind of lift and pivot the coolant expansion tank out of the way, then bungee it or tie it out of the way with mechanics wire or something similar. There is just enough slack in that lower hose to BARELY get it out of the way. You may notice a couple of coolant drips from that hose where it connects to the tank when you do this. Not a biggie, mine always stops dripping once it is back into position. My guess on the coolant leak is the thermostat housing and/or o-ring seal. A leak there will often pool up on top of the transmission, and burn off before actually leaving a puddle on the ground. Search "thermostat housing leak" or something similar to that, you should find many articles on the subject.
Thanks for the tips. Wife had to drive to work today so it'll be tomorrow before I can tend to it. I'll research the thermostat housing leak info. Much appreciated.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:51 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
You are going to want a socket and extension long enough to reach the oil filter canister without sticking your hands down there..

*It really helps to also remove the lower intake hose, which snaps in near the drivers headlight and leads to the airbox. if you can take this out.. gives you enough room for 2 hands ..once you shove the coolant tank out of the way

**its a real PITA. thats why service shops cant ever do the oil change on these cars and get it right!