Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My mini hasn’t been acting the same lately:((((

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:36 AM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mini hasn’t been acting the same lately:((((

So lately my 2006 mini hasn’t been acting the same. My down shifts have be come horrible. My regular shifts have become horrible there’s always a jolt forward when down shifting and also up shifting there’s a jolt backwards. I have no idea what’s going on. I don’t think that I forgot how to drive manual but that’s always a possibly. Any help please!!!

Old 07-23-2018, 03:18 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving this to the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues section.

How many miles on the car? When was the transmission last serviced?

Old 07-23-2018, 06:52 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Midlands or Getrag, 5 or 6 spd?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Moving this to the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues section.

How many miles on the car? When was the transmission last serviced?
The car is only at 43k miles, id consider it pretty low. Im not sure when the transmission was last serviced.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Midlands or Getrag, 5 or 6 spd?
i dont know which one i have whether its the midland or Getrag, but i have a 6 speed.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:42 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
They say the 06 R50 has a 5 speed Getrag.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
They say the 06 R50 has a 5 speed Getrag.
I have a 06 r53 its a six speed.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:26 PM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
When was the last time you changed your transmission oil? I would do that first and se if it helps. Check that your motor mounts and transmission mount are in good shape and lastly check your axles and suspension parts.

I know Mini says the gear box oil is life time but they have a different idea of life time then the normal person

Old 07-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MCS02
When was the last time you changed your transmission oil? I would do that first and se if it helps. Check that your motor mounts and transmission mount are in good shape and lastly check your axles and suspension parts.

I know Mini says the gear box oil is life time but they have a different idea of life time then the normal person
i should probably begin by changing the trasmission oil soon. And then when it comes down to motor mounts and transmission mounts all of those are brand new. And also my right front axle is brand new and my suspension i finished replacing this morning:/. Could this be a sign the i need to get a new clutch?? Any way i could tell??

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possibly a leaky clutch slave cylinder giving you an unpredictable release point?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Fancyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Sp4rtan
Possibly a leaky clutch slave cylinder giving you an unpredictable release point?
How would i be able to see if its leaky???

Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Not sure about Gen 1 but my Gen 2 has a clutch return/assist spring attached to the pedal, it was broken and gave similar symptoms. Could never get a smooth gear change. New spring from BMW - £3 in UK. Completely solved the problem. Havea look on Realoem and see if you should have a spring somewhere attached to the pedal that may be broken.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fancyup
How would i be able to see if its leaky???
Not so easy, I'm afraid, and it could be either the master or the slave cylinder although my money would be on the master. If you can access the boots, there might be some hydraulic fluid inside to indicate a leak, but not necessarily a lot. Even pulling them apart to examine the condition is not always conclusive. If the master cylinder squeaks when used that could be a sign of wear.
Check out the other suggestions here, but if it were my car and I couldn't see anything else wrong, I would be inclined to replace the master cylinder (<$100 DIY). Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fancyup
i should probably begin by changing the trasmission oil soon. And then when it comes down to motor mounts and transmission mounts all of those are brand new. And also my right front axle is brand new and my suspension i finished replacing this morning:/. Could this be a sign the i need to get a new clutch?? Any way i could tell??
I sorry it took so long to answer. If your clutch is at the end of its life you can check it by selecting a gear to high for the speed you are at, then floor it and see if the RPM come up with out a speed increase or not much speed increases. If it slips at all its time for a new clutch. I would replace it with a Valeo kit. Also replace the slave cylinder at the same time.

http://www.detroittuned.com/valeo-mi...tch-kit-gen-1/

Some one said check the slave cylinder. That is correct it is a weak link on the R53. Just feel the boots to see if they are wet. This could be the problem. If it is about to go then it is not disengaging your clutch all the way when you push it.
It is fun to bleed them when you change them. I have done a couple. The best way is to put the clutch pedal on the floor then bleed it. I doubt its the master those don't go out very often. I know one guy that carried an extra slave cylinder with him because he he'd so many go out.