Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MINI won’t start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Petrkow
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI won’t start!

2008 base model non-turbo manual transmission 116000 miles. HISTORY: Bought 8 months ago. Seller had battery replaced at dealer. Started and ran perfectly for months. Got a CEL for misfire and replaced two coil packs. Stated to idle irregularly. Got a CEL for cat inefficiency. Changed other two coils and four plugs. One plug was BROKEN! No electrode but car ran fine. Dumping unburned fuel into cat probably causing CEL. Tried to clear CEL by disconnecting battery. Did not work. Got a friend to clear it. Now I have starting issues. At first it would take a few tries to start. It would either start and die or do nothing then start as normal. Once started it ran fine. Got worse and worse. Taking several false start attempts before starting normally. Then would get a picture of a key on dash (just a key, not a key with a slash or ?) and no starting. Dealer said I needed a new key, got one, same problem. Try for 30 minutes and starts finally. Now, put the key in and nothing, no lights on dash and no start. Try again and again, lights on but no start but doors lock and unlock and hatch opens! I am flummoxed! Is it the key slot? The immobilizer? The computer? Either the car is CRAZY or I am (or will be soon). Anyone have a similar experience? Any cures? Thank you.