Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Won't start, but runs and operates perfectly

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Won't start, but runs and operates perfectly

Just went through a small search but didn't come up with what specifically i am experiencing. Most of the posts started out as i drove my mini, turned it off and when i went to start it up again it would click but it wouldn't start. My difference is i am not getting a click from the starter. When i turn the key to the on position in my 2004 MC with manual transmission everything lights up and buzzes like normal, turning the key to start with the clutch pressed all the way to the floor like always results in silence. The battery was tested and is perfect, everything works and functions properly and as intended........the only thing i can think of is that it doesn't really turn over that fast but not sluggish in the same, trying not to read into that but i think would be an expensive guess......( forgot to add that it will pop start, thats how i got it home )

thanks for your replies,

Old 08-23-2018, 05:21 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Could be a bad starter or a bad switch that is not allowing voltage to the starter.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:02 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Check the ground straps.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisdurand
Just went through a small search but didn't come up with what specifically i am experiencing. Most of the posts started out as i drove my mini, turned it off and when i went to start it up again it would click but it wouldn't start. My difference is i am not getting a click from the starter. When i turn the key to the on position in my 2004 MC with manual transmission everything lights up and buzzes like normal, turning the key to start with the clutch pressed all the way to the floor like always results in silence. The battery was tested and is perfect, everything works and functions properly and as intended........the only thing i can think of is that it doesn't really turn over that fast but not sluggish in the same, trying not to read into that but i think would be an expensive guess......( forgot to add that it will pop start, thats how i got it home )

thanks for your replies,
In college I had a 1970 Opel GT, loved that little car. I had the same issue, SOMETIMES it would start and drive fine until I turned the engine off, then nothing, I was always able to push start it so I just made sure I was somewhere I could push start it. One day I was under the car and noticed a cable was hanging loose, it was a 2nd ground strap that I didn't know about, connected it to the frame, issue resolved......

Old 08-23-2018, 06:51 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 575 Likes on 464 Posts
I would place my bet on a faulty ground. Two main grounds are located on the left front strut tower and the left side of the luggage compartment behind the trim panel.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:52 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
On this subject, does anyone have an opinion on the failure rate of OE Mini starters? In my other cars they usually had to be rebuilt or replaced at about 125K. My Mini is now at 155K and with the passenger side axle out this would be the ideal time to replace the starter if there is any chance it will fail in the near future. However, I see very few posts about starter failure, hence my question. Thoughts?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:00 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I spoke with the parts department manager at Passport Mini of Alexandria. He confirmed that the failure rate of MINI OE starters, as measured by the frequency with which he sells them, is quite low. Alternators fail more often.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:15 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB 67
I spoke with the parts department manager at Passport Mini of Alexandria. He confirmed that the failure rate of MINI OE starters, as measured by the frequency with which he sells them, is quite low.
Kind of what I said in THIS thread...

Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
I would place my bet on a faulty ground. Two main grounds are located on the left front strut tower and the left side of the luggage compartment behind the trim panel.
Just went outside and took a look at the grounds, if i was correct in my search there is a single brown ground behind the strut tower that was in new condition and the ground in the rear behind the panel was a cluster of grounds all in great condition.....

i guess my next move will be the switch, i read something about using a magnet?? also read something suggesting jumping terminals, but it being not possible because of the type of switch that it is??

i was told by a friend that if i took a screw driver and jumped the starter that would tell me if it was good or not??

thanks again for all your replies....

Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
Clutch switch?

Old 08-23-2018, 06:47 PM
chrisdurand
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Clutch switch?