Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

my MCS keeps shutting down.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
jinubob81
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my MCS keeps shutting down.

my 03 mcs is freaking me out.

i was on the highway, going at about 70 (3k rpms) in 6th, and i double clutched down to 5th, and then drop to 4th and stomp on it... before, this would be no problem, i'd get my thrills in, and be on my merry crusing way.

however, about 2 weeks ago, i did this, and the car just seemed to go into "limp home mode". I felt an immediate loss of almost ALL power, and pressing on the accelerator did nothing but make the engine give a feeble attempt at revving. When i came to a stop on the side of the highway, the car idled very rough, and when i turned off the car, it made like a dying, gutteral rough noise and shake. service engine soon and EML lights came on. I freaked.

When i turned the car back on after shutting off, the EML was out, but not the SES. A couple days later (i drove it home, and all was seemingly well) the SES light was off, and a guy at mini told me it shouldnt be anything to worry about.... wrong.

just tonight, when i was driving home on the highway, i did the exact same thing (drop to 4th, stomp on it) and the car did the same shut down mode again. I shut it off, started back up, and went on my way. Soon after, when i tried to pass someone, i dropped to 4th again, and this time, i was much more conservative (probably hit 4500rpm at the most). It shut down again! now i'm just frustrated.

Initially, i thought the shut down thing happened cause i was in 4th, and near redline, and seeing as how the tach is not being accurate, i thought i was closer to the revlimiter than i though and was bouncing off the revlimiter and this is what caused it. I didnt hear it bouncing off the revlimiter, and it was still pulling hard when it just shut down so i thought it was ok. But there is no reason why it would shut down near 4500 rpm.

anyone experience this, and anyone have any idea? The local dealership isnt open for mini service on saturdays and sundays, but i will take it in on monday.

On top of the rattles, the stumble, the cold start issue, tach going wack, cruise being worthless for a while, and the glovebox that would constantly open by itself... i'm getting tired.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:57 AM
jlm
6th Gear
you need to check your error codes which will record the history. could be something as simple as a loose intercooler boot...re-tighten it, re-set the codes and all is fine. You need an OBDII connector and software and a laptop to do it yourself. I now carry that setup in my track toolkit. a forum search will turn up sources.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:30 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also any mods on the car?

Might gotten bad gas or your car does not like winterized gas? Where
are you located?

That is the limp mode and the SES light will go off after 5 restarts.
Even if you did it back to back on the highway... if you have no
mods, you should get the OBDII code read as mentioned above.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
The other driving issues you mentioned are all fixed in V39 software - I know I had the same problems on my 03 MCS, all of which were fixed this week with V39.

As for the main power loss problem - I'll second the view that it's most likely a physical fault, like loose cable or part.

I've hit the redline, and it's not the symptoms you mentioned.

Dealership should be able to read the ODB codes, as long as you haven't disconnected the battery.

And if it's reproduceable, you can actually show them it happening.

Chris.

Old 11-13-2004, 09:54 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
thanks for all the responses

i think i will go do a detailed check up in the engine bay, check the intercooler boot, etc etc.

i do have an alta intake, but i've also had the HAI with no issues. i've checked the fitting on that, and it is ok.

thanks guys. keep em coming.