Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Air box intake tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018 | 10:54 AM
joedotmac
|
2nd Gear
Air box intake tube

Had the MCS serviced for recall to replace the auxiliary water pump. 48 hours after getting back, about four hours of driving, IC display indicated "Reduced Engine Performance".

Found the air box intake tube separated from the dirty side of the air box. Tube was laying loose about an inch from the airbox. Also the grommets that are supposed to secure the mounting of the air box bottom half were missing. See picture.

Upon trying to reattach the tube to the intake, I'm uncertain how it secures. There's a rubber o-ring on the perimeter of the tube that appears it should be inserted into the airbox receptacle opening and somehow participates in securing the connection. Again I'm unsure. I ordered and replaced the grommets that are used to secure the bottom portion of the air box.

After attempting to secure the intake tube and clearing stored codes, the car has been operating without issue and code free. Some of the stored codes seem to have no relation to the actual IC indicated "Reduced Engine Performance" SES light.

Any insight of how the intake tube and airbox receptacle opening is properly secured is appreciated.

Last edited by joedotmac; 08-26-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2018 | 10:50 PM
squawSkiBum
You should call the shop that did the work and ask "WTF." They didn't completey put it back together.

The tube goes into the air filter box and rotates to secure it. Easy fix.

Old 08-27-2018 | 06:43 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
It's odd that being disconnected gave you a code since the air won't be measured till it hits the MAF sensor. I never got a code when that was disconnected on mine, it used to just fall out and was also missing one of the grommets (since replaced, found them at eMINIparts.com) that the box sat in, I ended up ditching the stock intake and making my own.

Last edited by Qik420; 08-30-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2018 | 01:50 PM
joedotmac
|
2nd Gear
I have no way to conclude the codes were because of the intake tube being disconnected from the air box. Coincidental that the codes, or at least the "Reduced Engine Performance" SES light was displayed on the IC, just a few hours of drive time after being serviced. Some of the codes would appear to have no relation to the symptom.

Pulled the air box and intake tube last night out of the car. Separated the 90 degree elbow piece from the rest of the intake tube, leaving me with three components (air box, 90 elbow, remaining intake tube). Was able to identify the clocking orientation to seat and then clockwise secure the 90 degree elbow to the air box, secure the air box, and front portion of the intake tube next to the driver headlight.