Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New "non remote" key, and problem with door lock/unlock while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 11:17 AM
SingleMalt
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New "non remote" key, and problem with door lock/unlock while driving

Vehicle: 2006 R53 (Chili red! https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ners-club.html)

So my wife lost one of our two keys for our mini. Both of these keys had the 3 buttons to remotely lock and unlock the doors, and pop the hatch.

After reading a bunch of threads here, it seemed like the best choice for a spare key was the "general" or "non-remote" key. It looks like the picture in this post: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4222232, or on this web page: https://sites.google.com/site/minian...non-remote-key

I ordered one from my local dealer for $82, picked it up, tested it out, and all is good. Except that the doors now lock and unlock while driving.

It is normal for this vehicle for the doors to lock after a certain speed is reached (15 or 20 mph or so). However, with the full-function key, the doors stay locked until you put the car back in park. With the general key, the doors will lock at 15-20 mph, then unlock a few seconds later. If you stop at a light, when you take off again, same thing - lock then unlock. This gets irritating after a while.

I did NOT have the full-remote key in the car while testing, as I thought there might be some kind of interference between the two. I drove around with just the general key in the car, and same results.

Has anyone seen this? I thought I would ask here before I complain at the dealer. I'm sure its something simple that you guys have seen before.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I have two r50's, both with one remote and one non-remote key. These are the pre-facelift cars (yours is a post-facelift) and one of them is set up for the door locks to lock at 15 mph. It will do it with both keys, and the non-remote key is not original to the car- we bought it with only one key, and purchased the non-remote key as you did.

I have heard of this problem before with a post-facelift car so there must be something in the coding of the car that allows it to do the locking, but only with certain keys. This should be something that a dealer or independent BMW/MINI coder should be able to handle, although there might be a charge for some shop time unless you can convince the dealer to do it on a goodwill basis.

Dr. Bruce Hart
MINI Key Hospital