Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fog lights & driving lights...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004 | 12:38 PM
Sarcux
|
6th Gear
Fog lights & driving lights...

I know everyone's seen the Italian Job by now. What I'm wondering is if anyone has figured out what wires to disconnect in order to let the fog lights remain on when you turn on your brights... hence you can have your driving lights and fog lights on at the same time.

Yes, I know its illegal... but I can take my chances. I already run without a front plate. :smile: :smile:

Old 11-14-2004 | 05:40 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
My original look into this very dilemma a while back kinda came up with nothing, mainly since the body control module ends up controlling all the lights (except for the driving lights) directly. In other words, since the BCM 'knows' which lights are on, it ultimately turns off the fogs when the high beams come on. You would have to get into the base code for the BCM to change it, or 'conventionally' hardwire the lights, bypassing the BC. In the case of TIJ, those cars were modded to varying degrees well outside of typical factory controls.

It would only take a SPDT switch and some wire to come up with a 'bypass' switch to, say, either work the fog lights conventionally, or have them come on with the parking lights.

Old 11-14-2004 | 08:02 PM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by Greatbear
It would only take a SPDT switch and some wire to come up with a 'bypass' switch to, say, either work the fog lights conventionally, or have them come on with the parking lights.
Not sure, but you might want a relay in there, too. How many amps do the fogs draw? Anyone?

Old 11-14-2004 | 09:29 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
You can use the existing relay that the fogs use. You'll be switching the control signal from the BC with a control signal derived from the running light or low beam power source. Doing it in this fashion you are simply switching around the coil of the relay, not the heavy draw of the lights themselves.

For those interested, it's the brown/green wire from pin 6 of connector A48 in the fuse box underneath, or pin 40 on A1 at the BC. The BC turns on the lights by grounding this wire, so you will have to come up with a means (small relay or transistor switch) that created a 'low' or grounding condition when the low beams or running lights are on.

Old 11-14-2004 | 10:41 PM
blacknblue
Photographer / Beer Dude
Originally Posted by Sarcux
. . . figured out what wires to disconnect in order to let the fog lights remain on when you turn on your brights... hence you can have your driving lights and fog lights on at the same time.

Yes, I know its illegal... but I can take my chances. I already run without a front plate.
I think there's a safety reason the fogs disengage when brights go on- that being you should never drive in fog with your high beams on. Another reason is that too many lights are just plain irritating to oncoming motorists!

If the reason for wanting your fogs and brights on at the same time are for better visibility during nighttime jaunts, you might consider rally lights. These mount higher than the factory fogs. You want to light up the road ahead of you, not the ground just in front of you!

Old 11-14-2004 | 10:48 PM
Sarcux
|
6th Gear
I have rally lights already - that's why I want the fogs to be on too... mainly for cool factor for photos and the Dragon.

Old 11-15-2004 | 07:10 AM
D1JL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sarcux
I know everyone's seen the Italian Job by now. What I'm wondering is if anyone has figured out what wires to disconnect in order to let the fog lights remain on when you turn on your brights... hence you can have your driving lights and fog lights on at the same time.

Yes, I know its illegal... but I can take my chances. I already run without a front plate. :smile: :smile:
Although I have not performed this task my self it should not be too difficult. Low beams and fogs work together as normal this is a function of the BCM. The easy thing to do is just switch the driving light enable wire from high beam to low beam. This would allow the driving lights to come on with the low beams and the BCM is not affected. The wire on the factory driving lights is the yellow/green that goes to connector x332/15. As I stated I have not done this yet to my car so I don't know at this time what pin to change it to so that the driving lights will work with the low beams. One more note, if you used two diodes, you could have the driving lights come on with either high or low beams.

As you said, this may be illegal and not recommended for seeing, but it would look cool.

Right now I am working on the FOGs working with DRLs then I plan to wire my driving lights to come with NO headlights or maybe just DRLs

Dave