Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

some sort of reset?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Phorine
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some sort of reset?

Is there any sort of voltage safety shutdown/reset that would cause the dash to light like a Christmas tree and then reset and come back up? Also, the more annoying part is that ps seems to do the same.

This started around the time I lost my alternator (and then went thru 3 shitty auto parts store rebuilds to get one that works). I think I was getting too much voltage out of the second alternator as it would rev up. I think it hit 16.7v or something according to my scanner. I can’t remember. Either way, it seems like the dash/power steering, etc would all reset when I hit like 4K on the tach. It’s been fine after I swapped the alternator and I thought it went away, but I’ve had the same issue pop up the past couple of days, but now it only seems to pop up over 5k. I’ll go read the codes and see if it popped anything, but it didn’t last time. I didn’t think of it until now because My car usually has the cel lit due to the high flow cat and full exhaust the po installed.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Phorine
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I checked the codes. I had some downstream o2 sensor nonsense, which I always have, but it did throw speed sensor a as well. I reset them and tried Monitoring the voltage as I rev the engine. The max I got thru the scanner was 16.5, and it was cutting out/Christmas treeing consistently about 5500 rpm. Any ideas?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Your alternator put out 16.5V? Wow that’s way too high.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:08 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It has all the sounds of a bad voltage regulator for the alternator. Only thing that leads me to this is that I had an 84 Toyota truck that had a seperate regulator. It up and died one day and it gave all the symptoms of a bad alternator. Every new/reman alternator put in it would die within days. After discoverying the regulator was seperate from the alternator, it was fixed by replacing the voltage regulator.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:09 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Here is some more information on it from one of the vendors here on the forums https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm