Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

First Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:32 PM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Service

Just a quick question concerning my babies first dealer service. Should they have replaced the air filter? I did the HAI mod this weekend and when I pulled the air box out the filter looks like crap. There is no way this filter got changed any time recently. I also noticed that I have lost one nut and was losing the other nut holding in the hood scoop. I would have thought that a tech should notice things like this. Am I being too nick picky? I intend to call the dealer as soon as I find my paperwork.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes the dealer is supposed to change your air filter - most do not, but still charger MINIUSA for the "work and parts" Ooops, cat's out of the bag now

No you're not being picky, just expecting more than the dealer is used to Write down a To-Do list for them, and DON'T leave the dealership next time until you make sure it's all done.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
Absolutely! There is actually an internal check list that is two pages long which the tech is supposed to follow. My tech actually went through each item on the list, explained what was done, and gave me a copy.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
pezhead444
2nd Gear
Could you post a copy of the to-do list? :smile:

Old 11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
sbgobig
4th Gear
I would assume that any to-do list is generated at the Dealership and does not come from MINIUSA. When I took my MINI in for the first service my car broke down on the way home about 25 miles from the dealership. The radiator resivour was bone dry. I thought this was something the dealership should have checked. However all they do is "change the oil".

In my opinion these people care very little about our MINIs. They are not enthusiasts, they know very little about the actual cars and care mostly about making money. Warranty work does not make them lots of money so they find other ways to make money from us the customers or by billing MINIUSA for other work. Do not under-estimate how much deception can take place at the dealership.

ALWAYS CHECK THE OIL AND RADIATOR BEFORE LEAVING THE DEALERSHIP

Old 11-17-2004, 05:59 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a discussion with my dealer about the air filter when I had my second service done because I subsequently determined they had not replaced the filter. I found the air filter is not scheduled to be changed until the third service. Mine was filthy also so I changed it myself.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:12 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
I will see if I can scan and post it.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:06 AM
LombardStreet
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by doomsdaybob
Just a quick question concerning my babies first dealer service. Should they have replaced the air filter? [snip]
My MINI is still on order, so I'm asking something that will be obvious once I receive the car...

Doesn't the MINI come with a "service" manual in addition to the owner's manual? You know, a booklet explaining what happens at each service interval?