Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

High speed fan kick on after I turn the ignition off

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 04:37 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
High speed fan kick on after I turn the ignition off

On my 2004 Mini Cooper S, I ave noticed that the high speed fan seems to kick into gear sometimes after I turn the car off. It will run for several minutes. I replaced the low speed resistor a few months back with a kit I purchased on Ebay. Cut the wires solder the new wires in attache the plastic assembly back in. Easy project that didn't require pulling everything off. At the time that was preventing the AC from working. Now the AC seems to work correctly. I also had the power steering pump and fan replaced a couple of months ago (recall). I just noticed this over the past couple of weeks. When the high speed fan kicks in, it is hard to miss.

Did the resistor go bad again? Perhaps there is an issue with the fan itself causing the resistor to blow?
Maybe it is normal behavior. I can't imagine I would have missed this if it was normal.
Apprecaite any comments.
Ian

Old 10-22-2018, 05:17 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If it only happens sometimes, it could be doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing and cooling off your hot engine. Has the weather been hot and have you been driving short trips or in stop-and-go conditions?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Monitor the coolant temps. If the temps are high, I’d consider the thermostat as suspect.

Keith808 wrote this key info:

Thermostat begins to open at 89-92° C (192° F - 198° F) and is fully open at 103° C (217° F).

Expansion Tank Cap Cap pressurizes the system to 1.1 bar (16 psi) at which point the cap valve will lift to relieve pressure.

Radiator Fan

Low speed is switched on at 105°C (221° F) coolant temp and off when the temperature drops to 101°C (214° F).

High speed is switched on at 112° C (234° F) and remains on until the system coolant temperature drops by 4° C (39° F) at which point the system will revert to Low Speed.

more at this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ning-temp.html

Check your car and let us know what you find out.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:02 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Ian
I think it's normal if the fan runs for a couple of minutes, but no more.
I'm not sure what your driving conditions or local temps are, but try turning the A/C off a minute or two before you stop.
The fan probably won't run at all.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:24 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That’s normal, it does the same in my 2008 Clubman S after turning off the engine, but my 2002 MCS stop coming on after i replaced the resistor few years back with the issue of overheating due to bad low speed resistor went bad twice, after that never came on again but the low and high speed fan comes on at the right temperature as supposed to while driving, its just doesn’t comes on when i turn-off the engine. I remember when i first drove the car home i hear the high speed fan on all the time after turning off the engine and turn off by itself.
i want to mentioned though that my car A/C are always on when i drove my car, maybe this is the only reason why the fan comes on when i turn-off the engine to cool off the A/C and lowered the pressure in tge system.

Last edited by drea-min; 10-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:25 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ijourneaux
Did the resistor go bad again?
Is the low-speed fan activating as soon as you turn on the A/C?
If not, then it's either the resistor, the low-speed relay or perhaps a wire (from your resistor install) disconnected.

Originally Posted by drea-min
That’s normal, it does the same in my 2008 Clubman S after turning off the engine...
NOT normal... If the fan is working properly, i.e., both low and high speeds functional, the temp shouldn't spike so high as to activate high-speed when vehicle switched off.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Agree, it is not normal for the fan to come on after ignition is off. That water in the rad is going nowhere as the pump is not running so it serves no purpose to run the fan when engine is off. When I had this phenomenon it was a faulty/incorrect temperature sensor in the replacement thermostat housing. My original was green, replacement was brown. Replaced with green one from dealer and all good after that, no more fan run on.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:04 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scudder44
Agree, it is not normal for the fan to come on after ignition is off. That water in the rad is going nowhere as the pump is not running so it serves no purpose to run the fan when engine is off. When I had this phenomenon it was a faulty/incorrect temperature sensor in the replacement thermostat housing. My original was green, replacement was brown. Replaced with green one from dealer and all good after that, no more fan run on.
The fan is actually serving a HUGE purpose, doing its job to get the engine temp down, as coolant temps always elevate for a bit when engines are shut down. The problem here is if the temps are spiking high enough (due to low-speed not working) to get to that 234°F temp which triggers the high-speed fan -- especially when engine is off -- there is a problem.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
The fan is actually serving a HUGE purpose, doing its job to get the engine temp down, as coolant temps always elevate for a bit when engines are shut down. The problem here is if the temps are spiking high enough (due to low-speed not working) to get to that 234°F temp which triggers the high-speed fan -- especially when engine is off -- there is a problem.
and prey tell me, how does the fan get the temperature of the engine down when the water pump is not running? are you telling me the air movement over the engine will cool the core in 15 minutes?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scudder44
and prey tell me, how does the fan get the temperature of the engine down when the water pump is not running? are you telling me the air movement over the engine will cool the core in 15 minutes?
It certainly turns on for a reason. Some cooling is better than no cooling.
At this point, the thermostat would be wide open, so cooling down the water in the radiator would have somewhat of an effect on the system as a whole.

My fan (discovered to have failed L/S resistor) used to do the same thing until I replaced it. Since then it has not happened.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
It certainly turns on for a reason. Some cooling is better than no cooling.
At this point, the thermostat would be wide open, so cooling down the water in the radiator would have somewhat of an effect on the system as a whole.

My fan (discovered to have failed L/S resistor) used to do the same thing until I replaced it. Since then it has not happened.
When we changed the thermostat, the fan doesn’t come on nearly as often as before. Same use pattern and weather. Before when the kid comes home, car is parked and fan comes on high after engine shut down. Now, it’s only coming on if ambient temps are 85 F. and if the car was driven for more than 30+ mins.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:43 PM
10kredline
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting the same issue here as well. So is it normal or not normal? I'm confused.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 10kredline
I'm getting the same issue here as well. So is it normal or not normal? I'm confused.
It's a NORMAL function of the high-speed circuit of the fan to activate when the coolant temp reaches 234°F (112°C). However, it is NOT NORMAL for the temperature to continually spike that high, as the low-speed circuit (if functioning) should come on at 221°F (105°C) to keep temperatures below that level.

The suggestion here is the low-speed circuit might not be functioning (perhaps due to a failed resistor or bad relay), therefore coolant temp rises to the 234°F (112°C) mark which will trigger the high-speed fan -- even with the ignition switched off after a drive.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:33 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
So in my case, clearly there is something wrong. Until today, I have never noticed that the temperature (as indicated by the instrument cluster) was anything other than middle of the dial. SInce an earlier comment mentioned the thermostat,, I have been paying close attention to the temperature gauge. To day on the drive home, while stopped at a light, I noticed that the temperature was pegs all the way to the top. I hope I got lucky, as I was able to pull over immediately and park. Radiator fluid was low. I had topped it up a couple of weeks ago for the first time in forever.I let it cool down. filled the radiator, purged air and was able to get home. I noticed when I got home that the radiator did not run on when I turned the engine off. so overheating is the key suspect.

So why is it overheating? Is this a thermostat issue? It doesn't seem like I have a radiator fluid leak but I am losing radiator fluid somewhere. I haven't noticed any other issues that would indicate a head gasket leak.
Will drive my wife's car until I get a chance to work on it this weekend.
Appreciate any comments.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Earlier this year, y LS resistor died which caused the fan to come on high but it also disabled the A/C. This go around the A/C works fine.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
To get to the answer for your overheating issue, you'll have to systematically eliminate individual cooling system components.

Expansion Tank:

Are you losing coolant at the expansion tank?

This could be the tank itself (check seams all around), or a failed cap not holding pressure.

Fan:

Is your fan currently working properly on both low and high-speed circuits?
You mentioned replacing the resistor a while ago, but it may have failed again.

Is the low-speed fan turning on as soon as you turn on the A/C?

How to test the fan using a continuity meter or multimeter:

Disconnect fan plug from harness.

Put multimeter into continuity mode and connect negative lead to the brown ground wire on the fan plug.

Attach positive lead to the thinner red wire (low speed fan) on the fan plug, If functioning properly, multimeter should beep.
If no beep on low speed wire, the low speed resistor has failed.

Attach positive lead to the thicker red wire (high speed fan) on the fan plug.
If functioning properly, multimeter should beepIf no beep on high speed wire, the entire fan has failed.

Have you checked your fan fuses and relays?

With your engine running and up to temperature, your fan relays (there's one for low and one for high speed) should "click" when they trigger the fan circuits. If you've concluded via the multimeter that both low and high-speed fan circuits are functioning, but the fan might not be turning on, check the fan relays located in the engine fuse box. If you place your finger on them, you will detect a click when they trigger the fan to go on. Check both. If only one is clicking, swap them with one another, to see how it behaves on the other circuit. If one of the relays does not click on either the low or high-speed position, you have a bad relay.

Fan Specs:

Let engine idle while you watch the temp rise.At 221°F (105°C), Lo-Speed fan comes on, then turns off at 214°F (101°C).At 234°F (112°C), Hi-Speed fan comes on, then reverts to Lo-Speed @ 227°F (108°C).If temp gets to 238°F (114°C) and still no fan, turn engine off.* It should be noted that if the A/C is on, the low-speed fan will cycle on and off regardless of coolant temperature

======

Thermostat:

If all of the above has checked out, then you'll have to start looking at the thermostat.​​

Thermostat Specs:

Thermostat is wide open at 196°F (91°C).​​When cold engine first comes up to 195°F (90°C), you should see the temperature cycle down from 195°F (90°C), to 189°F (87°C) as the thermostat opens, then it will go back up again until the temp rises beyond.If it's not cycling, you have a faulty thermostat.

With engine warm and heat turned on, if you crack the bleeder screw on the top hose, coolant should seep out if thermostat is opened.​

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 10-25-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 AM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Thanks for the very detailed reply. Will work through these on the weekend when I have some uninterrupted time.
WRT coolant leak, If I have the car running and at temperature, would I expect to see steam coming off the cap or liquid dripping out some where?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
TWRT coolant leak, If I have the car running and at temperature, would I expect to see steam coming off the cap or liquid dripping out some where?
I would think so (maybe check the top of your splash shield under the engine for evidence of coolant pooling up?), but there have been reports in the past of these 'phantom' leaks where coolant somehow vanishes into thin air. All I can suggest is to confirm that each of the components that comprise your cooling system are indeed functioning properly.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Have you considered that the coolant may be going out the exhaust? Do you have a white cloud out the exhaust when you start it after it has sat for a while?

Old 10-25-2018, 03:17 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
Yes I did consider it going out the exhaust (An earlier Toyota Previa had a head gasket leak. That characteristic white smoke when starting out was a clear giveaway. So far no sign of this on my mini cooper. Although I am not out of the woods yet.
Did some work tonight. Ran it up to temperature (200F) tonight no obvious leak. Closely inspected the tank and certainly nothing obvious or around any of the hose clamps I could see (thermostat etc). Didn't get up underneath to look below the thermostat housing but nothing dripping.

Interestingly, atleast to me, when I opened up the bleed valve at the front of the car, When At temperature, I though it would gush out but it only leaked out a bit. I took the bleed valve out and nothing came out Would this indicate the thermostat is not opening? water pump? Mabe the bleed valve is upstream of the pump? SInce the temperature was about 200F the thermostat should be open.

I haven't checked the low speed fan setting but the Fan is definitely working.
Ian

Last edited by ijourneaux; 10-26-2018 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Interestingly, at least to me, when I opened up the bleed valve at the front of the car, When At temperature, I though it would gush out but it only leaked out a bit. I took the bleed valve out and nothing came out Would this indicate the thermostat is not opening? water pump? Maybe the bleed valve is upstream of the pump? Since the temperature was about 200F the thermostat should be open.
Air pockets within the coolant pipeline can also cause overheating issues.

Are you positive your system is properly filled and bled?
How's the level in the expansion tank?
What coolant are you using?

I haven't checked the low speed fan setting but the Fan is definitely working.
Which fan circuit are you hearing?
There's a big sound difference in the fan modes.

The low-speed is barely audible over the idling engine, while the high-speed is unmistakably loud - like a fanboat streaking through the Florida Everglades!

Old 10-26-2018, 06:52 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
You can check both low and high speed circuits by bypassing the relays. Short or connect pins 87 and 30 on each relay. If the fan operates in both modes then the fan circuits are good. If either doesn’t come on then there is a problem in the circuit. No low speed with a good high speed usually means the low speed resistor on the fan is bad. If the low speed comes on when you jumped the two terminals but doesn’t operate at appropriate temperatures or when the AC is on then it’s probably the relay.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:37 PM
ijourneaux
3rd Gear
It is definitely the high speed fan that I am hearing. Will check the low speed circuit tomorrow. I totally agree rwt air pockets. My Previa van was particularly suseptible. It didn't have an accessible bleed valve and you had to go through girations to get it bled correctly. That said, I could be missing something wrt mini. Last night when I first started up the car, the radiator reservoir was half full. I let the car warm up and it got to 197-202F. I cracked the bleed valve and just a few drops came out. I carefully opened the bleed valve figuring it would start gushing out but that didn't happen. When that didn't happen, I got it all of the way off and absolutely nothing came out. If the thermostat never opened , would I get any flow out the bleed valve?
I ordered a replacement thermostat and will change it out on the weekend. It couldn't hurt given the age but I would like to be more confident that it would fix the issue.
As always, the dicussion is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Since you’re planning on replacing your thermostat, and thus will need to drain you coolant, I’d suggest you follow the following instructions to properly replace the coolant in your MINI. I’d also suggest that you use the proper blue MINI branded coolant.

———

​The following is from BMW Tech Information System, 1982-2004, v6.3.1.23B / Series R53, engine W/11 Cooper S

· Elevate the vehicle safely on jack stands.

· Place tarp or plastic sheet under vehicle.

· Remove cap on expansion tank.

· Remove the under body protection panel.

· Disconnect the lower radiator hose, drain and catch the old coolant.

· Crack upper plastic bleeder screw to facilitate draining.

· When it stops flowing, reconnect the hose.

· Loosen LOWER vent plug (10mm bolt) under thermostat housing.

· You already loosened the UPPER vent plug in radiator hose.

· Leave BOTH plugs loose so system vents during filling.

· Slowly pour fresh coolant into expansion tank, watching lower vent screw.

· When coolant emerges from lower vent screw (no bubbles), tighten it.

· Fill expansion tank until coolant stays at the MAX line without dropping.

· Place the heater control on HIGH and fan on LOW

· Start the engine, run at idle, slowly adding coolant if the level drops.

· With the TOP bleeder screw cracked, idle until thermostat opens (196°F)

· Watch the TOP bleeder screw carefully and close when coolant escapes.

· Make sure coolant stays at the MAX line in expansion tank without dropping.

· If it drops, slowly add until it stays at MAX level.

· Take car for a short drive, re-check when cool, and top off (to MAX line) if necessary.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:10 AM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is the low-speed fan activating as soon as you turn on the A/C?
If not, then it's either the resistor, the low-speed relay or perhaps a wire (from your resistor install) disconnected.

NOT normal... If the fan is working properly, i.e., both low and high speeds functional, the temp shouldn't spike so high as to activate high-speed when vehicle switched off.
Yes the low speed fan comes on as soon as i turn on the A/C and i dont see any issue at all, temperature stays at 220 F and i can hear the low speed fan kicked in and out. On heavy traffic the high speed fan kicked-in so both works.