Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fuel system cleaner/treatment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:13 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system cleaner/treatment

Does anyone believe these bottles of Fuel system cleaner/treatment do anything? I popped in a bottle last night. My car is at about 6700Miles and I figured what the heck for $5. I don't know if it did anything or if its V39 that i'm not used to but the engine seems to purring better at high RPM.

Any thought?

Old 11-20-2004, 02:20 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are using a name brand gasoline then the cleaner additives are really redundant. I recommend using Chevron because of the excellent additives that they use.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:29 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
If you are using a name brand gasoline then the cleaner additives are really redundant. I recommend using Chevron because of the excellent additives that they use.
See I think things like the Chevron gas with their "additives" and Shells brand of premium are just gimmicks. I think they were created as a marketing ploy to excue the high gas prices.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Not true. There was a very recent study done by an indepentdent Consumer Reports kind of company comparing the different fuels additives of the major gas suppliers and it found a big difference between them. Chevron and one other came out virtually tied at the top. I wish I could remember where I saw this.

Here are some links.....
http://www.1stfamily.com/gasoline/gasoline51.html

Old 11-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Redline SL-2 always helps out a tired old fuel system.

Old 11-20-2004, 05:09 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Redline SL-2 always helps out a tired old fuel system.
But is it a piece of mind type of thing or does it actually do something?

Old 11-20-2004, 08:03 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
can't hurt, a bottle of techron that you can buy in like walmart, like every 7500 miles or so. Clean fuel system = happy MINI

Old 11-20-2004, 10:19 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kumquat78
can't hurt, a bottle of techron that you can buy in like walmart, like every 7500 miles or so. Clean fuel system = happy MINI
This is why you buy Chevron.....techron inc. at no extra cost.......LOL

Old 11-21-2004, 05:20 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Redline

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
But is it a piece of mind type of thing or does it actually do something?
Redline Fuel injection Cleaner
I have used it in my cars and the last one which I still have for 155,000 miles and the one's before that for 100,000 (Carb) and 240,000 never had any problems with the fuel systems.
I'm using it in my MCS for sure, it works for me!
If your wondering about Redline check out their White Paper.
http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/15.pdf

Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
I have used it in my cars and the last one which I still have for 155,000 miles and the one's before that for 100,000 (Carb) and 240,000 never had any problems with the fuel systems.
Can I ask what gasoline you normally buy?

Old 11-21-2004, 12:41 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Gas

ScottinBend, Enroy 93 octane for the MCS, the other car gets 87 octane.

Old 11-21-2004, 12:48 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Not familiar with the Enroy brand so I can't say whether or not the additive is worth it. I use Chevron and have never used an additive in any of my cars and they all run exceptionally well. So it's kind of like the CAI debate.......if you like it and think it's doing it's job.....don't switch.

Old 11-21-2004, 02:13 PM
LombardStreet
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by norm03s
Interesting paper. I tend to be very skeptical of most additives and claims based on their own "research" usually don't impress me. This sounds like it might be pretty solid, though.

Do you follow the instructions in that white paper you linked to? I don't remember the exact dose, but it was something like 1/3 oz. per gallon each fill-up. Do you add it to every tank, or just give it a large dose every once in a while?

Old 11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
LtlLnor
1st Gear
I have always added fuel system cleaners to my vehicles, Chevron for the longest time, but recently BG 44K. Intervals are usually around 5,000-7,000 miles, or more. I've heard a lot of positive things regarding most BG products in general.

Also, I use to think it was good to put the chemical in before a long trip, but it's now my understanding it's best to use when you have a lot of stop and go driving with the additive in the tank. This gives the chemical the most chance to sit on top of the cylinders etc, to help break down the deposits.

Probably just piece of mind for me, but easy to do, and no regrets so far.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:29 AM
haskindmh
2nd Gear
My understanding is that carbon and deposit buildup have become a much bigger problem in recent years. BMW was having problems on cars with as low as 30,000 miles. There is a new level of gasoline coming called "top tier" which will have a much higher concentration of detergents to combat these problems. In the meantime, it is my understanding that BG-44K is about the best fuel system cleaner available on the market. It is much more concentrated than other cleaners and is recommended for use every 7500 miles. If you read the directions on many of the products available they will reccomend that they be used in every tank of gas or every other tank. The detergents that are currently available in gasoline from the suppliers, while better than nothing, are not concentrated enough to do the job. Of course the amount of deposits will vary depending on many factors; type of gas, type of driving, ambient conditions, etc. It seems that $18.00 or so every 7500 miles for a can of BG-44K is cheap insurance that I am keeping my fuel system clean and engine deposits to a minimum.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:44 AM
haskindmh
2nd Gear
More information on "Top Tier Fuels":

[size=3][font=Verdana]Top Tier Detergent Gasoline[/font][/size]

[size=3]TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, [font=Verdana]BMW[/font], [font=Verdana]General Motors[/font], [font=Verdana]Honda[/font], and [font=Verdana]Toyota[/font] recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. [/size]

[size=3]Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction. [/size]

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That’s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid. [font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana]TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers[/font][font=Verdana][/font]

[size=3]Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. [/size]

[size=3]In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards. [/size]

[size=3]Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below. [/size]

[size=3]TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers: [/size]

[font=Verdana][size=3]QuikTrip[/size][/font]
[size=3][font=Verdana]Chevron[/font]
[font=Verdana]Conoco[/font]
[font=Verdana]Phillips[/font]
[font=Verdana]76[/font][/size]

[font=Times New Roman]For more information go to: http://www.toptiergas.com/[/font]

Old 11-23-2004, 10:07 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Redliine

Originally Posted by LombardStreet
Interesting paper. I tend to be very skeptical of most additives and claims based on their own "research" usually don't impress me. This sounds like it might be pretty solid, though.

Do you follow the instructions in that white paper you linked to? I don't remember the exact dose, but it was something like 1/3 oz. per gallon each fill-up. Do you add it to every tank, or just give it a large dose every once in a while?
LombardStreet,
I follow the directions on the bottle at every fillup which is how I buy gas.
The reason I believe in Redline fuel injection cleaner is because my experience with it over the long haul and the quality of their other products, i.e. full synthetic engine oil.
Around here the only place that sells it off the shelf is PEPboys @ $6.00 a bottle.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:25 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I have used Redline in all my vehicles for nearly 10 years. I add the amount shown on the bottle to treat 10 gallons of gas, at each fill-up, regardless of if I get 8 gallons or 15 gallons. Makes it easier and I figure it all will balance out in the end anyway:smile: .BTW: I was going to change spark plugs in wife's 02 CR-V with 49K miles on it. All the plugs looked great... almost like new