Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2010 Mini Cooper base vanos issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018 | 04:32 PM
Mark Greene
|
Neutral
2010 Mini Cooper base vanos issue

Need some help here. I have a 2010 cooper base still throwing a vanos error code after all the related parts have been replaced. Over the past month I have replaced the timing chain, the vanos gear on camshaft, both solenoids, and camshaft position senors. Oil pressure and switch have checked out as well, so now I’m at a loss.. I have also ran the adaptation for the vanos after replacement.. Anyone else have a guess what direction I should look next?

Old 12-19-2018 | 10:33 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Can you confirm you have the intake sprocket with IN on it and the exhaust sprocket with EX on it?

How did the whole thing start (back story)?

Old 12-20-2018 | 04:42 PM
Mark Greene
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Can you confirm you have the intake sprocket with IN on it and the exhaust sprocket with EX on it?

How did the whole thing start (back story)?
confirmed.

As for back story... not much of one, bought the car used with a CEL. Didn’t think much of it, fluids were good. No oil in the coolant, and no oil leaks when running. When I test drove it, the car ran great, no hesitation or rough idle. Picked it up cheap, so I thought I might be worth the gamble. Got it home, changed the oil, and changed intake and exhaust solenoids, as the looked pretty bad. Still showed cam shaft “a” retarded, so I swapped the camshaft position sensors around to see I’d swapped to exhaust. It didn’t. So those were changed as well. Car runs awesome when still not at operating temp. That’s what sent me down the road of vanos unit, and did the timing chain and kit while I was at it..

Old 12-20-2018 | 06:13 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Did you check the timing again? Did you take the valve cover to see condition of lifters and intermediate shaft?

Old 12-23-2018 | 02:43 PM
Mark Greene
|
Neutral
Did you check the timing again? Did you take the valve cover to see condition of lifters and intermediate shaft?
checked the timing again, it’s right on.. also shaft looks good. Had a friend who works for a dealer bring it in, his tool says the oil pressure is not in tolerance when the engine is at operational temp. So a couple of roads now... bad valve seals, or grooves worn into the ends of the cams (seals).. car runs fine at idle and drives well, just responsiveness is not there when warm.. Friend said replace the motor, would be easier.. I would rather not.

Old 12-23-2018 | 08:41 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The oil pressure sensor is cheap and easy to replace. The other thing would be doing another compression test. There also a check valve next to the intake vanos solenoid, it might be clogged or something.

Old 12-24-2018 | 09:19 AM
Mark Greene
|
Neutral
The oil pressure sensor is cheap and easy to replace. The other thing would be doing another compression test. There also a check valve next to the intake vanos solenoid, it might be clogged or something.
i didn’t event think of the check valve, car has 110k on it so it’s probably trashed. I’ll try both that and the oil pressure sensor. I’ll let you know.

Old 12-30-2018 | 10:27 AM
Mark Greene
|
Neutral
No go.. changed both with no resolution... only error I get is the p code for the exhaust camshaft.. I rechecked the timing, still spot on.. I swapped the position sensors from intake to exhaust and it didn’t follow.. I’m starting to wonder if there’s a wiring issue from the sensor itself..

Old 09-15-2019 | 01:47 PM
Minimac12066
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Greene

Need some help here. I have a 2010 cooper base still throwing a vanos error code after all the related parts have been replaced. Over the past month I have replaced the timing chain, the vanos gear on camshaft, both solenoids, and camshaft position senors. Oil pressure and switch have checked out as well, so now I’m at a loss.. I have also ran the adaptation for the vanos after replacement.. Anyone else have a guess what direction I should look next?
Mark, please explain "ran the adaptation".