Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rear rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018 | 09:59 AM
S-2013
|
3rd Gear
Rear rattling noise

Hope someone has some insight on where to go from here. 13 MCS has a dull rattling noise coming from the rear suspension, going on now for several months.. Rattle is more prominent on chilly days while driving slow on rough road surfaces. Replaced rear shocks along with new upper bushings, replaced sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. Removed the rear shocks again to retorque the hardware. Even replaced the left rear end link again with another brand but the rattle still persist. Also checked the hatch supports and latch but noise seems to be coming from underneath. At this point, I'm open for any other ideas or suggestionsons. Thanks

Old 12-21-2018 | 11:34 AM
jglover
2nd Gear
Muffler? Lose baffle?

Old 12-21-2018 | 11:45 AM
S-2013
|
3rd Gear
I installed a new exhaust a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the rattle was already there before the install. I'm almost certain it's suspension related but not 100%. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-21-2018 | 09:45 PM
squawSkiBum
I found that I had to put blue Loctite on the nuts on the swaybar links or they'd work loose just enough to rattle. Other people have found that the elusive rattle from the back of the car was from the latch mechanism on the rear hatch not holding tightly enough.

Old 12-23-2018 | 07:15 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
i know this sounds silly, and i dont know how loud out metallic sounding this rattle of yours might be, but what about a nut or bolt in the jackstand hole in the hatch? or behind the hatch liner?
what about the emergency fuel shut off T-handle/cord on the drivers side of the hatch behind the little cubby hole, is the T handle flopping around just rattling against metal?

you would almost have to have someone lay the seats down and sit back there while you drive to tell you exactly, as best they can where the rattly is coming from.
even something under the rear seats rattling around as you drive?

Old 12-23-2018 | 07:38 AM
S-2013
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cyberlunacy
i know this sounds silly, and i dont know how loud out metallic sounding this rattle of yours might be, but what about a nut or bolt in the jackstand hole in the hatch? or behind the hatch liner?
what about the emergency fuel shut off T-handle/cord on the drivers side of the hatch behind the little cubby hole, is the T handle flopping around just rattling against metal?

you would almost have to have someone lay the seats down and sit back there while you drive to tell you exactly, as best they can where the rattly is coming from.
even something under the rear seats rattling around as you drive?
i don’t recall seeing a T handle back there but you did job my mind that I put an aerosol fire extinguisher back there months ago. Either way I’ll check both for possible noise sources while trying to figure out a way to mount my GoPro underneath:-)
Thanks once again for all your suggestions and Merry Christmas to all.