Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think I broke it. :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Tableleg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I broke it. :(

I need advice from someone smarter than me when it comes to hydraulics and clutches. haha!

Short version:
Do I need to replace my master cylinder? While trying to bleed the clutch hydraulics, the clutch pedal was pressed to the floor (instead of using a vacuum gun or a power bleeder as recommended by the instructions below) in attempts to bleed the line and now I can't get anything to work. The clutch pedal is currently is either on the floor or fully extended out without any resistance during it's travel. I also can not draw out any fluid from the slave bleed via vacuum gun. Did I some how mess up the seals in the master?

The long version:
Coming home from work one day, the clutch on my 2007 MCS with 98k miles decided to stop working. I could press the clutch pedal down to the floor no problem, but the gear shifter didn't feel like the clutch was engaged. Luckily I was able to get it into 2nd gear and dodged (most of) the red lights getting home.

Some quick googling found out that a clutch job is currently worth more than my car and I was bummed (I can't see dumping anymore money into this car, bought it new in '07, but it's been nothing but problems). Further googling taught me that the clutch on these are hydraulic and that a good flushing of the fluid might be a fix and hope was restored! I found some instructions (see below), along how to replace the master and slave cylinder and went to work.

Bleeding all the brakes (it was definitely not the right color...) using the friend-pumping-the-brake-pedal method went well without issues. But then it came down to the clutch, (couldn't find a friend or a parts store with a loaner power bleeder) we tried the same pumping method. Initially the fluid came out of the slave bleed valve, but when the clutch was pulled back to the neutral position (had to be pulled back by hand), it no longer had any resistance to it. Now the clutch pedal doesn't seem to do anything and a vacuum gun will not draw any fluid from the slave bleed valve. I thought I read somewhere that you can damage the seals on the master/slave cylinders so I'm wondering if that is what happened. I went ahead a installed a new slave cylinder (compressing the piston as recommended) still not able to vaccum any fluid from the reservoir.

So from here, I figure I need to get a power bleeder, but am wondering whether I need to replace the master cylinder or not. It's a pain to get to but I'll replace it if you guys think I damaged it during my ignorant attempts to bleed the system. I also don't understand why the vacuum gun isn't drawing fluid through the system through the slave bleed valve. Any thoughts on that one?

Any advice or recommendations? All help is appreciated and welcomed!

These were the instructions I was going by:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I cant see any reason doing it the old fashion way shouldnt have had a negative effect. A bad Master cyl will give you no clutch pressure which could have been the issue to start. Iv had one go out on me while i was bleeding the clutch.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Seems a broken clutch fork is fairly common on these cars. Which would require a clutch replacement.