Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
New Fuel Injectors

I decided to replace my fuel injectors. My newly machined engine is sitting on the garage floor. Would anyone care to simply scribe a step by step to installing the new injectors including the fuel rail or comment on what I just did?
1) I used the smallest sizing gizmo in the fuel injector kit. Garage reasonably warm. Left the tool on for a few minutes on each injector.
2) silicone grease on the green o-rings and slid them into the fuel rail with new spring clips
3) placed all the injectors into their respective cylinders as far as they would go
4) leveraged them home with the fastening bolts in a pattern at short twist at a time while keeping the angle of the injectors at what appears to be "normal"
5) once completely seated I torqued the bolts and taped off the open end of the rail
BTW - I fully cleaned the fuel rail with carburetor cleaner only where the injectors fit inside until there was no dust or fluid or any particles

Any thoughts. I hope I did this correctly. The Bentley manual made it seem easy. I don't think it's easy.

Thanks, Dan R

Old 01-03-2019, 07:16 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by danraabe
I decided to replace my fuel injectors. My newly machined engine is sitting on the garage floor. Would anyone care to simply scribe a step by step to installing the new injectors including the fuel rail or comment on what I just did?
1) I used the smallest sizing gizmo in the fuel injector kit. Garage reasonably warm. Left the tool on for a few minutes on each injector.
2) silicone grease on the green o-rings and slid them into the fuel rail with new spring clips
3) placed all the injectors into their respective cylinders as far as they would go
4) leveraged them home with the fastening bolts in a pattern at short twist at a time while keeping the angle of the injectors at what appears to be "normal"
5) once completely seated I torqued the bolts and taped off the open end of the rail
BTW - I fully cleaned the fuel rail with carburetor cleaner only where the injectors fit inside until there was no dust or fluid or any particles

Any thoughts. I hope I did this correctly. The Bentley manual made it seem easy. I don't think it's easy.

Thanks, Dan R
I used all three of the kit gizmo's, sequentially. Did one injector at a time, from removing old parts to inserting into the head. After all injectors installed, then added the rail, without lubing the o-ring.

My '07 injectors have a guide that mates with a guide hole in the head --- there's no angles involved. Maybe the other FI set mentioned in Bentley doesn't have this "guide"?

Hardest part is getting the injector into the head, even one at a time. I found a socket about the same diameter as the distance between the metal "spring guide thingy" and used it to apply insertion force --- pretty awkward for those of us with big hands, but you can feel it "snap" into place. Rail went on nice and easy, without the lube.

Sounds like you got it done OK. As long as you were careful to not stress the rail by torquing slow and evenly.