Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold weather suspension knocking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019 | 10:40 AM
sawicki
|
2nd Gear
Cold weather suspension knocking.

Iv been having a noticeable knocking sound coming from what appears to be the passenger front area when going over uneven ground or broken roads. And is much more pronounced when only the passenger tire articulates. The drivers side tire makes almost no noise but even when it does it appears to some from the passenger side.

This only starts to appear when the ambient temp is below 55 degrees and the colder the temps get the more pronounced the knocking. And as soon as the temps rise the knock goes away.

This leads me to believe it’s some sort of rubber or plastic bushing that expands enough in warmer temps to not be noticeable. and the only things I can think of are sway bar end links or sway bar bushings. Maybe possibly shocks/struts.

I have included a video of the noise hopefully someone can put a finger on what it is.

Attached Files
Old 01-05-2019 | 01:12 PM
sawicki
|
2nd Gear
Well did some trouble shooting today. Braking, acceleration, or cruising have no effect on the knocking sound. Going straight or turning the wheel left also do nothing to change the noise but if I turn the wheel right the noise is slightly reduced. Having my tires rotated and balanced today and will mention the noise to the tech and maybe he can figure it out.

Been doing more reading and sway bar links and bushings seem to be a common problem with these cars but from my experience with bushing they tend to squeak when worn not knock so I’m leaving towards end links or possibly my shocks are shot.

Last edited by sawicki; 01-05-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2019 | 04:43 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Sway bar bushings would not squeak but they might "clunk." I had a similar sound from the right rear of my R53. First attempt was to replace the rear sway bar bushings and end links - nada. Turns out that I had a leaking shock and "old" shock bushings (shrunken/hardened). Replaced all and the sound is now gone.

Old 01-05-2019 | 07:07 PM
sawicki
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper48
Sway bar bushings would not squeak but they might "clunk." I had a similar sound from the right rear of my R53. First attempt was to replace the rear sway bar bushings and end links - nada. Turns out that I had a leaking shock and "old" shock bushings (shrunken/hardened). Replaced all and the sound is now gone.
I guess I’ll give the shocks a shot. Maybe replace the end link as well seeing how they’re cheap enough. The worn shocks would explain how much the car lifts when accelerating as well as the knocking noise.

Old 01-06-2019 | 12:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by sawicki
Iv been having a noticeable knocking sound coming from what appears to be the passenger front area when going over uneven ground or broken roads. And is much more pronounced when only the passenger tire articulates. The drivers side tire makes almost no noise but even when it does it appears to some from the passenger side.

This only starts to appear when the ambient temp is below 55 degrees and the colder the temps get the more pronounced the knocking. And as soon as the temps rise the knock goes away.

This leads me to believe it’s some sort of rubber or plastic bushing that expands enough in warmer temps to not be noticeable. and the only things I can think of are sway bar end links or sway bar bushings. Maybe possibly shocks/struts.

I have included a video of the noise hopefully someone can put a finger on what it is.
Had this exact thing with my 2012 not long after I got it. It was only happening when it was cold and it sounded like it was coming from the passenger foot well. It was really hard for the dealer to find this out. They finally had the car over a cold winter night and looked at it in the morning before it warmed up. It was the front sway bar bushings. They were loose when they were cold. Something about the rubber some of those were made with. Good luck with fix it...

Old 01-06-2019 | 02:26 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
I had the same problem. I replaced the shocks and the shock mounts and no more noise. Couldn't tell you which it was for sure but the front mounts were definitely cracked.

Old 01-07-2019 | 07:38 AM
sawicki
|
2nd Gear
Next weekend I’ll tackle the sway bar links and hope they do the trick. If not I’ll order some new front shocks Really am hoping to avoid doing the bushings.

Old 01-07-2019 | 11:23 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by sawicki
Next weekend I’ll tackle the sway bar links and hope they do the trick. If not I’ll order some new front shocks Really am hoping to avoid doing the bushings.
Hey!
Just noticed your location. Not to far from me!

Also noted you have only a few posts here on NAM. Are you new to MINIs? Or just new to NAM?

Old 01-07-2019 | 12:38 PM
sawicki
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S

Hey!
Just noticed your location. Not to far from me!

Also noted you have only a few posts here on NAM. Are you new to MINIs? Or just new to NAM?
I’m new to both. Picked up my MCS last March joined here around the same time.

Old 01-08-2019 | 06:09 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Well, welcome to MINIs and to NAM.

There used to be a group of us MINI owners that met up in Albany, but as interest waned that is no more, sad to say. Not sure if there are any other owner’s groups in the area. Some of us have met up at Lime Rock Park to watch the races there. In the past MINI has had a car corral there for the IMSA races. There was a MINI team that was being supported, but that is no more, either, due to rule changes. So I don’t know if that will be there this season. But I am sure that BMWCCA will be there and MINI being a BMW, would be allowed in. Just a thought if you are looking for MINI things to do. We tend to post here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...edule-113.html