Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Inner CV Band GONE

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Dean2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner CV Band GONE

Hi All,

In trying to hunt down a suspension noise (same noise for bumps AND sometimes cyclical with acceleration, weird), I found that the band on my inner CV is gone, lost, nowhere to be found. It's the large one on the pot joint, not the small one on the axle. This is a pretty new, OEM replacement of the driver's side (US) half-shaft. With the suspension at full droop, there's not a lot of room between the pot and the lower arm. Has anyone else had issues with this? Did I get an axle with a regular CV clamp that should have been low profile? Any ideas at all?

I replaced the half-shaft after finding the same inner boot cut down the middle. I couldn't find anything on the car that would have interfered and the axle was likely original, so I chalked it up to age. Now I'm wondering if something is rubbing. Since the axle is $800, I'd like to sort out the underlying issue first.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.