Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

College student, need help with heater and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:23 PM
scottwitha5
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
College student, need help with heater and clutch

i’ve searched the forums and i can’t seem to find someone who’s had this exact problem. My heater goes in and out with blowing hot air and today it never got warm. However, when i turned my car off the radiator fan came on which doesn’t usually happen. then i turned it back on and hot air came out of the heater! it’s weird. no overheat warnings or anything. Could it be the thermostat, coolant having an air pocket, heater core? i don’t know.

on a separate note, my clutch is not fluid and is sort of hard to shift into. Could it be the linkages needing adjusted? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2019, 03:46 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Scott
From your description, I'd suspect a low coolant level first, then an airlock in the system. On most cars, there are two air valves - they need to be almost-but-not-quite completely unscrewed to work.
Thermostat is a common problem but the heater will eventually warm up; flushing may clear a blocked heater core. Try a handful of dish-washer crystals in the coolant for a few days if it's not too cold where you are, then flush & add anti-freeze.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:42 AM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
Before you go adding things to your cooling system that aren't designed to be in your cooling system, let's ask some diagnostic type questions....

Year and Model of your MINI? Climate where you live (winter or summer?)

Do you have a coolant temperature gauge installed? If yes, what is your operating temperature?

Any work performed recently on the car?

Are you checking the coolant level regularly? Adding coolant at any time? Any leaks under the vehicle? Any substances in the coolant that don't look like coolant (look in recovery tank; make sure engine is cold when you do this)?

Any DTC? Any check engine light events ... even if the light went back out?

Old 05-30-2023, 01:40 PM
paolagoombi
Neutral
Originally Posted by MVPeters
Scott
From your description, I'd suspect a low coolant level first, then an airlock in the system. On most cars, there are two air valves - they need to be almost-but-not-quite completely unscrewed to work.
Thermostat is a common problem but the heater will eventually warm up; flushing may clear a blocked heater core. Try a handful of dish-washer crystals in the coolant for a few days if it's not too cold where you are, then flush & add anti-freeze.
well I just did what you said there man and my car wont start at all, thanks!

Old 05-30-2023, 03:26 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
Funny, I don't see the spec on which diswasher crystals to use in the service manual.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:08 AM
alaynedabney30
Neutral
who tf uses dishwashers this way..? Dude, if you're a student, its much better for you to stop wasting your time on this kind of stupid things. Now is the time to focus on your academic achievments. You shall do your best in order to successfuly graduate your college and get a decent job. When I was of your age, all I was thiking about was my school and my grades. I was even using different services like https://papersowl.com/write-my-research-paper in order to write my research paper service, and I can say that it was a much better way to spend my money and time, then wasting it on cars ..

Last edited by alaynedabney30; 06-05-2023 at 02:39 AM.