Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 AM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No oil pressure

Quick back story: 07 MCS Car is a salvage rebuild, overheated due to no coolant from broken auxiliary cooling pump, head rebuilt, water pump replaced, timing chain replaced, thermostat housing replaced, valve cover replaced.

Ok so I got this thing back together and got a no oil pressure warning, yes I did put oil back in it, thought it could be oil pressure sending unit because the connector is broken but put a gauge on it to be safe. No pressure at gauge. Removed oil pan and oil pump, cleaned it out and verified it could pump oil. The pick-up screen was 1/4 clogged with melted stuff (maybe plastic) there were also some plastic bits in the oil pan. Reassembled, still no oil pressure. Checked oil filter housing for springs, all there. My next thought is something is plugging up the oil filter housing portion connected to the block.

So wise and all knowing internet friends, am I on the right path or am I missing some thing else? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:15 AM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
maybe some of that melted stuff got past the screen and clogged something up down stream?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
When my N18 did the same thing after a rebuild, a friend advised me to take the valve cover out and then pour oil across the head and across the lifters and any oil orifice i can see, I had to hand rotate the engine so i can see the oil shooting...result: oil pressure light was off and oil was circulating fine.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear

Pulled this little chunk out of a oil way, from behind the oil filter assembly, it’s a piece of melted plastic, probably from the valve cover. Not sure if this was causing my flow issue, but at least I found something.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM
MiniUt
1st Gear
Update for those that read this thread, the overheating that happened before I bought it was pretty severe. The valve cover had melted and started to drip plastic, it must have dropped into boiling oil and cycled through the engine, once it cooled it hardened and became solid plastic again. Unfortunately it decided to do that inside the oil passages in the head. I took the head back to the machine shop once I determined that oil couldn’t flow through the head, thinking maybe it was assembled wrong, they disassembled it and discovered a bunch of plastic pieces that were clogging all of the holes. They did apologize that they didn’t clean it properly, but I am just glad the found the problem. Now I just have to assemble the engine again.....

Old 03-02-2019, 06:29 PM
mkov608
5th Gear
Received 154 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniUt
Update for those that read this thread, the overheating that happened before I bought it was pretty severe. The valve cover had melted and started to drip plastic, it must have dropped into boiling oil and cycled through the engine, once it cooled it hardened and became solid plastic again. Unfortunately it decided to do that inside the oil passages in the head. I took the head back to the machine shop once I determined that oil couldn’t flow through the head, thinking maybe it was assembled wrong, they disassembled it and discovered a bunch of plastic pieces that were clogging all of the holes. They did apologize that they didn’t clean it properly, but I am just glad the found the problem. Now I just have to assemble the engine again.....
While the head was in the shop did you have them install new valve seats? Once these heads overheat, valve seats tend to fall out.

http://www.engineprofessional.com/TB/TB113017-1.pdf