Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil in boost pipe dry PCV hose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019 | 05:53 AM
RCRacer
|
Neutral
Oil in boost pipe dry PCV hose?

I searched and found a lot about PCV issues, but this is a little different. We have a 2013 CM S All4 with 84k miles. I noticed a little oil residue at the connection of the charge pipe that is connected to the intake and the pipe just up stream. I pulled the air box off and took the pipe off of the intake. There was some oil in the tube, not a lot, but it was more than just a film. I had been getting a little oil smell in the car usually at startup so I investigated further. I figured the PCV was dumping oil into the turbo, but when I pulled the PCV hose it was completely dry. The turbo inlet was also dry and it seems like the turbo shaft has no slop, so I can't figure out where the oil came from.

One thread I found a guy talked about his PCV being blocked and the excess crankcase pressure was keeping the oil from draining out of the turbo, to the point it was forcing oil out of the turbo into the intake piping.

Has anyone experienced this? Should the PCV hose be completely dry? I would have expected some oil residue even if everything was operating normally.

Thanks for any input.