Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My Poor Sick Mini (PART TWO) ****

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 05:44 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 2 weeks at Mini of Manhattan, my BRAND NEW MINI seemed all better. No more SVC ENGINE SOON, FLAT TIRE, EML; No more stalling. Untill today, Thanksgiving Day! Now, less than a week later: all of the above + EP light in the CVT window. I can't express how disgusted I feel! Tomorrow it's back YET AGAIN to dealer as the LEMON LAW deadline inches closer and closer. Happy Thanskgiving.

Old 11-28-2002, 08:52 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
ops:
Maybe a brand new Mini is in order.
good luck mate.

Old 11-28-2002, 10:08 PM
motomohair
2nd Gear
That stinks... keep your head up...

Old 11-29-2002, 12:31 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Unlike me, Mini of Manhattan service folks don't work the day after Thanksgiving, it turns out. Now gotta wait 'til Monday to limp their car back to 'em. Notice how I'm starting to think of it as THEIR Mini, not MINE.
So, while a new car sits in a garage, I'm busy with Long Island Rail Road schedules.
Oh well, thanks for the sympathy.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:54 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
go to a different dealer....
I always tout Hassel Mini of Freeport.., LI.
It's worth the trip.
Ask for Alex.. as he's the service manager. and is extremely knowledgeable and always friendly.

Peace,
D

Old 11-29-2002, 01:26 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Thanks for advice. D, and if the car was older I'd take it down to the South shore or Northeast to Habberstad Mini in Huntington Station. But Mini is BRAND NEW. I've owned it for only one month, 14 days of which it has spent in dealer's shop.
Mini of Manhattan must fix it or replace it.

Old 11-29-2002, 04:52 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
My friend Steve in Fair Lawn, NJ just called to tell me he put down a deposit on a Mini at his local dealer. After hearing my sad story he now looking to back out of deal. Too bad. It is probably a great car but if they can't fix 'em what good is it?

Old 11-29-2002, 05:02 PM
2minis
6th Gear
Good luck BB.... :???:

Old 11-29-2002, 05:51 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Thanks 2minis. Hope they both in good working order.
BTW, As it happens, I work for Reuters News Service. I bought the Mini because our Detroit correspondent, who covers the Motor Industry, told me it was the only small car he'd recommend. I'm gonna call him Monday and wise him up at bit.

Old 11-30-2002, 04:28 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Sad to say, my friend Steve, who checked out my Mini & had to own one has backed out of his deal at Prestige Motors in Mahwah, NJ, after hearing about my problems. He said he has no time to be taking a new car back and back again to the dealer. I told him the odds are he wouldn't get a lemon and at least he works days. I work nights & each time I have to bring the car back or pick it up it costs me a "nights" sleep. But he went a bought a Saab today. Too bad.

Old 12-01-2002, 07:21 AM
Glenn
Neutral
I got mine from Hassel...great service and friendly staff...my air bag light stsyed on at 1200 mile...brought it in to Hassel on my lunch hour and Alex reset it himself...

Old 12-03-2002, 08:17 AM
NYCguy
Neutral
bigbud,

Sorry to hear about your problems but I'm not too surprised. I got a Cooper S from Manhatan and I've been back there 6 times since July when I picked it up. It's there now in fact after a second coolant tank replacement and other bits. Hooman, the service rep is a nice guy although I'm starting to seriously consider invoking the lemon law and returning the car.

Old 12-03-2002, 04:43 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
NYCguy, I agree, Hooman is a good guy. Both times I've been there, he had me in & out to the car rental place in record time. This time they rented me a 2003 Cadillac Deville Northstar. It's like driving around in my living room but with nicer furniture. He explained the NYS lemon law. I already knew its: 30 days down or 3 failed attempts to fix problem. I'm now at 16 days down & they in process of 2nd fix attempt. But he's not the guy who decides to give you a new car or not. Thats Customer Relations dept. I'm gonna call 'em but doubt they'll replace car 'til the Law kicks in. Anyway, the Caddie is some car, but honestly, I'd rather be back in a Mini. BB.

Old 12-03-2002, 05:04 PM
OttoPequeno
3rd Gear
All these problems really scare the crap out of me, AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE MY MINI YET!

If BMW is getting those coolant tanks from someone outside, they should really stick it to them. It seems to be one of the most common complaints posted on MCO.

Good luck on getting the situation resolved, BigBud. Make sure they are not killing time in the bodyshop waiting for the Lemon Law period to run out (If that is how it works. I'm not familar with laws in Nueva York.)!

"We're on a road to nowhere. Come on inside. Takin' that ride to nowhere. We'll take that ride."

Old 12-05-2002, 10:44 AM
GARFIELD
2nd Gear
Wow! Really a bum trip. Hope mini life gets better for you quickly. They should give you a new mini as Mrs. Chippy said. Sure want to know how story ends.
1,000 and no problems. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-08-2002, 04:38 PM
hvoigt
Neutral
So.. here is my story..

I picked up my new Mini S this Friday, drove it 30 miles to a wedding and the next morning I cranked the car and none of the instuments worked...all guages were not working and the climate control was down also. Nice. The radio works though (must be original BMW)! I checked the fuses which were fine...

Nice quality control. I'm guessing the electronics are built in England. My saga begins.

Old 12-08-2002, 04:44 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Welcome to MCO, but bummer of a first post.

"Suzee" 02 MCS ~ Sport, Aero, Rally Lights

Old 12-09-2002, 03:51 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
Light at end of tunnel??
Spoke to Hooman at Mini of Manhattan today (Monday); they've had the car for a week now (3 weeks total, Lemon Law fans). He said the Mini transmission expert from Belgium (!) examined my car Thursday. Hooman wasn't sure what was done but said a final test drive was scheduled for tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Meanwhile, as a act of faith, I've ordered custom plates from NYS DMV:
-- MYT LITL -- Mighty Little. get it? It's the name of the tiny horse in the Frank Zappa song "Moving to Montana." BB.

Old 12-11-2002, 03:35 PM
bigbud
2nd Gear
END OF STORY???
Got car back yesterday with good news & bad news.
They sent car's computer (or part of it) to New Jersey for "flash programming."
Good news is: car seems OK now. Bad news is: Got in mail today a form letter from MINI, BMW of North America that explains the whole rotten situation. I quote: "...some automatic CVT transmissions have been filled with incorrect low-viscosity transmission oil...(this) may cause transmission clutch to slip sporadically, and if not corrected, permanently."
This is why Mini service shop kept changing the xmission fluid. Problem is, how does one know if xmission is trashed or had it's life shortened or what????
My next step will be to contact Mini Customer Relations and ask for a new car or a new transmision or at the very least, have warranty of transmission greatly extended.
I'll start a new thread after I hear back from Mini C.R. Meanwhile if you see BigBud buzzing around the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) in MYT LITL, gimme a shout & a thumbs-up!

Old 12-11-2002, 03:50 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BigBud - since I don't see myself in NY any time soon I'll give you a virtual "thumbs-up" just for sticking with MINI. Your patience will be greatly rewarded.