Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

thermostat house ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 PM
christyp10
1st Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
thermostat house ?

I have a 2012 coupe S R58 that I got in January. She started leaking coolant so I had a trip to the dealership. They said it was the thermostat housing and was going to cost $600. Well, My previous car was an 01 eclipse that I did my own repairs on. Had that car for 18 yrs.
I decided I would do this myself so I ordered a new thermostat housing. 1st one was wrong part. Got my local part store to order me one according to the VIN #. Of course it's different looking and has a thermostat included with a metal clip around it. The leaking one had a thermostat screwed into the housing. Before changing this, I googled everywhere trying to find the exact one. Couldn't find the same and every website says the one I have is the correct one. During all this, I read that it will need an adapter and I ordered one. I was still searching for info and the old housing started spewing coolant badly. So, I removed it and put them new one in but the old thermostat is still wired in and just sitting there. What do I do with it?
It's not leaking anymore but the check engine light came on and I have a feeling it's due to that old thermostat that's still wired in.
I'm so hoping someone here will be helpful. I posted on another group and got a rude message about being female working on my car.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
You need the correct wiring adapter to connect to the new thermostat as you shouldn't have the old one plugged in at all. There is only like 8 different harnesses so best to take pics and go to the dealer or order them from us to make sure you get the right ones.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 03-17-2019, 06:43 PM
christyp10
1st Gear
I have the wiring adapter that goes with the new housing. The old thermostat isn't plugged into anything but it is connected by wires. The closest Mini dealership is about hr and half away.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Be sure to check www.Mini-RP.com to see if your issue qualifies for reimbursement.

I had to get my T-housing fixed in 2016, MINI reimbursed me last year. I paid $500 at a local shop and they used all OEM parts. As long as the shop uses OEM parts, MINI will reimburse.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:54 PM
christyp10
1st Gear
Fixed her

So my 1st replacement started leaking Got a 2nd one and very happy that she's fixed. I got the thermostat housing off in 20 mins ...woohooo!

The following users liked this post:
Yakatak (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have a thermostat issue - go to www.mini-rp.com to see if you qualify for a reimbursement. I had my T-housing replaced in 2016 and they reimbursed me last year.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:38 AM
SirKronan
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an r55, 2011 clubman with no turbo. Started showing P0128 code. This happened to me previously, about 2.5 years ago while living in Texas. I replaced the sensor - no change. However, since I didn't have my garage and was stationed down there for military duties, I elected to get the full housing replacement done at the Dallas Mini dealership. They replaced the thermostat with a new factory one. Problem gone ... Until now. I tried just the sensor first. O'Reilly's had the only one in stock, and it is aftermarket. Just like in Texas, the new sensor did nothing. I replaced the whole thermostat with an aftermarket from Amazon that had good reviews. I elected to use the sensor I got from O'Reilly's rather than the one that came with the thermostat (for now). No luck. I reset the codes many times with my personal code scanner. Whether engine is running or just key in "on" position, resetting the codes won't clear that one. I took it to a local mechanic i trust, and they supposedly cleared it with their fancy $5000 snap on computer. I drive around for a bit, and the code is still there, "permanent". Note - when I have the car "on" but engine not running, and i reset the code then, even though the code stays, the fan will stop. The car heats up to normal temps. In fact, usually, the fan won't come on for the rest of the day, and the car runs normal. Usually, the next morning the fan comes on steady again though, before the car even has time to warm up.

Any ideas? What secret magic did the dealership do to get it to work properly for the past 2.5 years?