Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

flywheel help DMF vs SMF

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019 | 08:22 AM
cheetoman
|
1st Gear
flywheel help DMF vs SMF

i'm in the process of replacing the clutch on my 2007 mini cooper hatchback. i removed the transmission last night but ran out of time so i haven't touched anything else yet.i assume my car has a DMF. as alluded to, i don't know its condition. i'm not a mechanic and have little experience. i'm replacing the clutch b/c it was slipping pretty bad.

my problem is i'm confused about DMF vs SMF. does the DMF have a "clutch" or just a friction plate? am i to replace just the friction plate - assuming the DMF is in good shape? can i install a traditional clutch with pressure plate on a DMF or would that require a SMF?

so does a DMF = DMF and friction plate
and SMF = SMF, clutch, pressure plate?

sorry for the lack of understanding. i've found threads discussing DMF vs SMF but none that mention the component parts. i guess it's too basic!

any insight greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2019 | 09:45 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Both a dual mass flywheel and a single mass flywheel use a regular clutch disk and pressure plate. Usually manufacturers recommend replacing a DMF during a clutch replacement as they typically can't be resurfaced. If yours is in good shape people have just put a new clutch disk and pressure plate on it and left the original DMF in. If the clutch was slipping pretty bad you probably need to replace the flywheel as it will have been overheated.