Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fixed my P053A code

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019 | 02:20 PM
fixture
|
Neutral
Fixed my P053A code

Hello all,

I read allot of posts about people having the P053A code. I got the code after installing my new intake and it wouldnt clear. Got a new intake pipe with PCV heater, still there. I read on other posts that is was just the connections need to be adjusted and they were right. These 2 plugs can be pushed in more and pulled out more. I thought they were factory set, but they are just held in by a plastic "C" type holder that is connected to the PCV plug. You can slide both these electrical plugs up down / in out. It took me a couple tries to get them to perfectly contact the hose connections, but no more P053A. To far in and they spread apart, not touching the internal metal prongs. To far out they don't touch. Hope this helps others.

This is on my 2011 Cooper S R56

Old 09-05-2019 | 04:21 AM
Paperweight
Neutral
Permanent fix?

I'm having intermittent issues with a P035a code on my 2013 Paceman All4 S. It seems to only pop upwhen I reattach my jb+ tuner but it occurs to me that I always fiddle with these connectors after I remove the tuner. I'm curious if you have found a way to keep the plugs seated "just right". They seem pretty temperamental.

Old 03-08-2020 | 07:08 AM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fixture
Hello all,

I read allot of posts about people having the P053A code. I got the code after installing my new intake and it wouldnt clear. Got a new intake pipe with PCV heater, still there. I read on other posts that is was just the connections need to be adjusted and they were right. These 2 plugs can be pushed in more and pulled out more. I thought they were factory set, but they are just held in by a plastic "C" type holder that is connected to the PCV plug. You can slide both these electrical plugs up down / in out. It took me a couple tries to get them to perfectly contact the hose connections, but no more P053A. To far in and they spread apart, not touching the internal metal prongs. To far out they don't touch. Hope this helps others.

How can you tell if they are making contact? I'm having the same issue after the pipe was replaced. I keep moving it, clear code.. comes right back. Been messing with this for 2 days lol.
​​​​​

Old 07-28-2020 | 02:36 PM
JasonMiike
Neutral
Okay so i found the piece under all the hoses. The code is still showing!?

*update* okay so i plugged it in, been driving around for a couple miles. However the code still popping up!

What now?!?

—————————————//
for so long I’ve been trying to figure out this code! Turns out there’s two of them! Thank you so much!

but now what? I’m missing this piece for some reason. I had my body suit fix my Pcv hose, apparently they didn’t do it right.

do i have to reorder the whole hose or does that heater piece come separately?

Originally Posted by fixture
Hello all,

Last edited by JasonMiike; 07-28-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:39 AM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
Looks like you're completely missing that cable..
Trace that pcv hose, see if its just dangling in the engine bay somewhere.
Mine we ended up sealing around it with some black silicone once it was seated.. hasn't popped since.

Old 07-29-2020 | 08:31 AM
JasonMiike
Neutral
Yea, thanks! I found it under all the other hoses. The engine light went away. However, I am still receiving the code when I scan my OBDII scanner. So I'm a bit confused. The car feels a little better, not going to lie. But maybe it's cause I don't see the engine light on anymore lol.

What do you guys think?

These are the three codes that my OBDII scanner is picking up even though the engine light went off after plugging in the circuit.

Originally Posted by geekd4d
Looks like you're completely missing that cable..
Trace that pcv hose, see if its just dangling in the engine bay somewhere.
Mine we ended up sealing around it with some black silicone once it was seated.. hasn't popped since.

Old 07-29-2020 | 03:20 PM
geekd4d
2nd Gear
That code will stay in there for a few engine cycles.
you need to drive it a few miles, shut it off, start it back up, drive some more, shut it off, repeat a few more times to really clear it from the computer memory. (15-20 miles if I recall, but don't quote me on that)

It could be a pending code depending on the reader too.
​​​​​​It would go out every time I messed with it, and the first start the check engine light wouldn't go on.. excellent.. but I would see the pending code in my reader and sure enough after another stop/start it would pop back on. Just needed to get it right..

​​​​​​Another thing.. clear those codes with your reader.
I personally would be concerned with that o2 sensor going bad

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by JasonMiike
Yea, thanks! I found it under all the other hoses. The engine light went away. However, I am still receiving the code when I scan my OBDII scanner. So I'm a bit confused. The car feels a little better, not going to lie. But maybe it's cause I don't see the engine light on anymore lol.

What do you guys think?

These are the three codes that my OBDII scanner is picking up even though the engine light went off after plugging in the circuit.

Old 08-02-2020 | 09:24 AM
JasonMiike
Neutral
Okay, I drove about 100 miles now. The heater circuit code (P053A) is still popping up without the engine light being on. Even after I cleared it. What gives?

The new code P0420, I think it may have to do with the downstream 02 Sensor. The o2 sensor is coming in next week.

Old 05-08-2022 | 04:51 AM
ajbac
Neutral
P053a, PCV

Could a broken PCV valve cause a P053a code? I'm talking the actual PCV diaphragm. I've read that this particular code coming up is the result of increased airflow due to the PCV being stuck OPEN. So, my thinking is that if the diaphragm itself its broken or if there's a crack in the plastic surrounding it (which there is), that would essentially render it "stuck open". A vacuum is not being made. My engine also DRINKS oil, which I've read can be a symptom of a bad PCV. so I' m looking for other opinions to confirm that I'm on the right track.

Old 06-18-2023 | 06:36 PM
Kim Pressey
Neutral
I’m having a similar issue. Any chance you can tell me if you have a connection on the part I just posted. Wondering if I have missed a connection. Thanks for taking the time to look! Very much appreciated!

Old 06-18-2023 | 07:24 PM
ajbac
Neutral

I have to say I no longer have my mini and this was a while ago so I’m doing my best to remember. If I remember correctly; the connection I have circled in white should trace back to a spilt where there is another connection. That plug with go into the receptacle you circled in red. also, what I found to ultimately be the reason my P053A code was as follows. While doing other repairs I had to disconnect the connection I circled. When I put everything back together it turns out I didn’t push the connection all the away. I went through hell just to figure that out. So my advice, aside from finding what I believe is a missing plug in there somewhere, is make sure those connections are all the way tight. Because of the way the connections are mounted, ie clipped to the hose next to it youd think just pushing g them together would do it. So really double check that.

Old 06-18-2023 | 11:54 PM
Kim Pressey
Neutral
Thanks. I know that those connections are usually the dang problem. I took all apart and found no connection. I will look again. Thanks!!