Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Possible DME replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Oz2814
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible DME replacement

Hi everyone:

A few weeks ago my 2010 Cooper S died while driving to lunch. After a couple minutes she started back up and I managed to get back to work, but not before she died again. I get her towed back home to start troubleshooting. I checked the fuse and relay and they were both good, so I thought it was the fuel pump acting up. I read that they could overheat and shut down before complete disaster. That lead me to change the pump (and filter while I was back there), and she ran! I went to a job interview about 30 minutes away, no problem. On the way back however she died again. Luckily I had a Power Probe with me and I just supplied the pump with the 12vdc and got back to the house for more intense troubleshooting. Here's what I did. I unplugged the connector at the fuel pump and attempted to start it while measuring the voltage and got 11vdc (it's supposed to be battery volts 12vdc). Then, I load tested the circuit, again at the pump connector, and again got 11vdc (wiring harness is fine). Next, I disconnected the connector at the fuse box the one to the pump and tried starting her again and got 11vdc at the junction box. Next, I disconnected the connector at the fuse box to the DME, connected the pump back to the fuse box, grounded the relay and got 12.1vdc (battery voltage). Then I disconnected the connector at the DME tested the harness to ground and got an open circuit (the harness isn't grounded unintentionally). All this is to say that I think my DME is faulty. Does my logic make sense to anyone else? Have I made some error? Because I really don't want to buy a new one because I can't actually program it myself.

Thanks.

Oz

Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Check the ECU relay. the fuse box is next to the DME. Also, don't rule out a faulty fuse box (passenger kick panel) for water intrusion/damage.

Also, get obd reading even if you dont have a CEL. use a BMW/MINI specific reader.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 AM
Oz2814
Neutral
OK, Do you happen to have/know where I can get the complete schematics for the DME and Fuse box?
How else would I check the fuse box for water damage?
Also, what would getting a ODB reading tell me specifically?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
for schematics, navigate though newtis.info

if you have a sunroof, check for leaks, or if the carpet is wet/damp. you could open the fuse box and check for corrosion.

OBD codes can tell you if there is an error in the fuel delivery system or such

Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Oz2814
Neutral
I don't have a sunroof specifically because I didn't want to deal with it leaking haha.

I've been to newtis.info, but I can't seem to ever find a complete schematic.
It's usually broken apart into the individual systems.

From what I've gathered, I should be able to check everything up until the high pressure pump without a reader.
You know, by checking voltage drop, bad grounds etc.
Do you know if there are any other things it would tell me?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
When my countryman was acting up in a similar fashion, it turned out to be the fuel rail pressure sensor.

I also know of couple poeple having bad fuel that won't even let the car start.

My hardtop used to act funny because i forgot to plug the gas tank purge valve.

There was also a time where the throttle body was acting up. But for that i got codes.

Not sure if this is of any help, but evetually you'll figure it out.