Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Overboost/ reduced power mode?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019 | 03:57 PM
eagle_eyes
|
Neutral
Overboost/ reduced power mode?!?

Hey all, brand new here. I recently bought a 07 Mini S,all stock, had 113K on the odo, and no sooner than driving it home, I began to have issues. CEL came on, cleared it with my el cheapo scanner. Then limp mode began to appear. Now after almost $2500 in repair costs, I still have it doing the same thing. CEL and yellow engine/reduced power mode. Getting kinda annoyed.
Repairs to date:
Water pump,
Intake boot (MAF to turbo)
induction service to remove carbon build up
oil change, of course
new plugs,
coil packs x 4
new valve cover.
Scan tool shows a 345 +/- kpa ( I think that's what the tech said) and the factory is 335pka, he thinks that could be causing the overboost fault and limp mode, possibly a bad boost sensor. At this point though, I'm doubting my future relationship with this car, as well as the lack of real diag skills in the auto world locally. I've had it 2 different shops, both told me "There ya go, should be fixed now!" and just shotgunned parts at it, besides the induction service.
Any ideas on what direction to go from here???

Old 06-18-2019 | 06:55 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Replace the boost sensors first. That's where I'd go. Then I'd look at the turbo side of things. Maybe waste gate doesn't open up or its control assembly has issues.

Old 06-18-2019 | 07:01 AM
eagle_eyes
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by Yupetc
Replace the boost sensors first. That's where I'd go. Then I'd look at the turbo side of things. Maybe waste gate doesn't open up or its control assembly has issues.
See, that's how most people approach these issues. "Replace X, that'll fix it" and then the problem is still there. That's why I've spent over $3500 already to fix this issue and it's still there!
My thought has been the boost sensor, but nobody actually checks the sensor to see if it's reading incorrectly or not, and I don't have a scope anymore to do this myself. I think it's just gonna hit Craigslist.

Old 06-18-2019 | 07:20 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Yea, pretty sad to see you come and go with this MCS. While these are real fun cars to drive, it does come with a pack of troubles, too. Unless you invest in your own tools and your own labor to save the repair cost, driving a used high mileage MCS may burn through your wallet pretty quick. Maybe Craigslist is the way to go after all.

Old 06-18-2019 | 07:27 AM
eagle_eyes
|
Neutral
Well, I have my own tools, but not a factory scan tool or scope. My biggest beef is these shops that throw parts at it, take my money, and then the issue returns and they look all confused cause they didn't fix it.
I used to own a Snap-on franchise and know a few things about scanning and scoping cars, and actually TESTING the components before replacing them. I used to have training classes for my customers on how to use a scope to test before replacement, and they would all nod sagely while stroking their beards, and then go right back to hanging parts without testing things first.

So, I have access to a scope, going to see what the waveform looks like on the boost sensor before I buy anything else. Or sell it. I dunno.

Old 06-18-2019 | 08:50 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Yeah, you're correct about those devious mechanics out there. Hence why I don't go to them for help. I get most of my training by hands-on practice and with some help from Youtube videos. The savings I get from doing it this way is far past the cost of tools I bought so far. Seriously, these MINI's are fun to drive, but the cost of maintaining them can be quite bad for higher mileage cars. I would almost advise everyone to stay away from these cars unless they can DIY most repairs.