Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mysterious P3007 engine code from 2010 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:32 PM
AstroYutz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious P3007 engine code from 2010 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Hello, all!

My 2010 Mini Cooper S (R56) recently indicated an engine fault (amber engine icon) on the steering column instrument cluster. My OBD-II diagnostic device indicates a P3007 permanent engine code and no other codes. I've cleared the code but it returns immediately on the OBD-II reader and the engine fault icon appears after a few minutes of driving. The engine seems to run OK but with reduced power at highway speeds.

My hope was to find a great deal of information on the internet regarding the type of fault and how to repair it. After an hour of searching I have a few vague ideas but nothing solid. I'm surprised this code is so rare -- perhaps I'm simply looking in the wrong places. Can anyone here lend a hand? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:16 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
a quick google search indicates camshaft position sensor. check the wiring and check the timing.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 AM
Jim Roucis
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
a quick google search indicates camshaft position sensor. check the wiring and check the timing.
Yes, I saw that as a possibility but was dubious of its accuracy. I saw no exact references to the R56 Mini nor N14 engine and it did not lead to a plethora of YouTube videos with Ricky Bobby showing how to fix the problem. Nonetheless, a new camshaft position sensor cost $20 from Amazon, so I installed one. No luck -- P3007 code and symptoms persisted.

Next I took the car to the local stealership for an accurate diagnosis: the high pressure fuel pump was failing. Rather than paying their outrageous fees for the repair ($2,000), I bought a new (not refurbished) pump online and installed it myself. Problem solved. The car runs better than ever.

Along the way I learned that the automotive world speaks OBD-II for engine diagnostics unless you're talking about Mini/BMW. Then it is OBD-II plus special codes specific to the manufacturer. That means you either pursue an intimate and long lasting relationship with your local service center so they can decode the special nonsense from your car for you or you have to buy a special BMW code reader. I chose the latter.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Glad you sorted out...

I have 5 HPFPs on my counter top studying closely to figure out WHY do they fail. It is a shame that no one has figure a way to revolutionize a HPFP swap like they do with engines lol.....time will tell, i guess.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Jim Roucis
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Glad you sorted out...

I have 5 HPFPs on my counter top studying closely to figure out WHY do they fail. It is a shame that no one has figure a way to revolutionize a HPFP swap like they do with engines lol.....time will tell, i guess.
Five? Wow! Evidently, these pumps are a significantly weak link in the chain.

As a first timer replacing this pump, the process took 3.5 hours but the majority of that time was spent dealing with stubbornly stuck connectors (electrical and solid fuel line). Knowing what I learned along the way I am certain I could accomplish it in less than an hour. I hope to never need these skills, but it sounds like they will eventually be handy.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:04 PM
5310mini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi
So what special BMW code reader should I buy. Would prefer an OBD-II adapter because they can handy in evaluating real-time performance data too.

5310mini

Old 08-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Jim Roucis
Neutral
Originally Posted by 5310mini
Hi
So what special BMW code reader should I buy. Would prefer an OBD-II adapter because they can handy in evaluating real-time performance data too.

5310mini
Sorry about the extremely late reply. I bought this unit and I am happy with it so far:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZB2MWL

Please note that I am not a service professional relying on this device for my bread and butter. Nonetheless, it showed me much more information about the error encountered and allowed me to clear the "we need more of your money" indicator on the instrument cluster. There are many similar devices, some much less expensive, but I was careful to read the description and customer feedback before choosing this one. Some claim to be BMW compatible but are not. I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on a BMW compatible code reader, but I would also avoid the $40 units.