Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

throttle body replacement, reset adaptation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:06 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
throttle body replacement, reset adaptation?

07 R56 S. I'm going to replace my I believe original throttle body with a new vdo one. will I need to reset the adaptation? should I do it regardless? I have a foxwell NT510 tool. should the engine be off if I do it? thanks.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 PM
SNOOPYS_MINI
1st Gear
I know this wasn’t answered before, but I’m about to do the same thing on a 2009 MCS and would like to know if anything special will need to be done? Adding a VDO throttle body, can I simply disconnect the battery, install the throttle body without touching the butterfly or connecting pins, reconnect the battery and drive?

Or will something need to be done tune wise at the dealer? :(

Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SNOOPYS_MINI
I know this wasn’t answered before, but I’m about to do the same thing on a 2009 MCS and would like to know if anything special will need to be done? Adding a VDO throttle body, can I simply disconnect the battery, install the throttle body without touching the butterfly or connecting pins, reconnect the battery and drive?

Or will something need to be done tune wise at the dealer? :(
what connecting pins? I believe the throttle body has one electrical connector, so you'll have to unplug it. I didn't have to reset adaptation. pretty much replace old with new and drive. I cleared the fault code. the fault code I was getting was P115C and 2B5C which was listed under engine-DME motor electronics in the foxwell tool.

Last edited by Gabe3; 08-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:01 AM
SNOOPYS_MINI
1st Gear
Thank you for the response.

My VDO part says right on the bag “do not touch connector pins during install”. I take it it is the pins inside the connector plug, not that you would typically touch those.

My codes w an OBD scanner were P1637 throttle valve position and P1634 Throttle valve adaptation which just put it into limp mode as I understand. After cooling down and clearing codes it starts up fine, but don’t want to have to tow it home again so changing out the TB.

When I bought the car it had a lot of oil build up from over the years. Cleaned it up changed a lot of gaskets/seals, cleaned up TB and intake manifold and added a catch can. Ran fine for a few months now and zero oil leaks or burn, but I’m guessing there may have still been oil accumulation in the TB that may have thrown the code.

Ill try a straight swap out this weekend and hope for no issues or need for adaptation.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:25 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same 'adaptation', but the synchronization between the throttle pedal & throttle body can get messed up if you operate the throttle under the hood.
So I assume changing the TB might have the same effect.
No tools needed!

Ignition on, engine not running.
Make sure the carpet is out of the way - press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor & hold for a good 30 seconds.

The following users liked this post:
Tina Simpson (10-19-2020)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 AM
SNOOPYS_MINI
1st Gear
Cool, thank you.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:37 PM
Tina Simpson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previous reply Quoted- I'm not sure if this is the same 'adaptation', but the synchronization between the throttle pedal & throttle body can get messed up if you operate the throttle under the hood.
No tools needed!

Make sure the carpet is out of the way - press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor & hold for a good 30 seconds

Does this adaptation reset work on a R50?? I've read somewhere that it's not a feature of the 1st generation mini 🤷‍♀️

Old 10-19-2020, 01:52 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Tina Simpson
Previous reply Quoted- I'm not sure if this is the same 'adaptation', but the synchronization between the throttle pedal & throttle body can get messed up if you operate the throttle under the hood.
No tools needed!

Make sure the carpet is out of the way - press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor & hold for a good 30 seconds.
Ignition off, key out, then release the pedal.

Does this adaptation reset work on a R50?? I've read somewhere that it's not a feature of the 1st generation mini 🤷‍♀️
I don't know - as far as I can tell, the TBs are all functionally the same.
Note a minor change to the process.
I can't see it doing any harm in any event.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:48 AM
Tina Simpson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MVPeters
I don't know - as far as I can tell, the TBs are all functionally the same.
Note a minor change to the process.
I can't see it doing any harm in any event.
Thanks 😊
I will of course give it ago anyway. Just wanted to double check and avoid that sinking feeling you get when things don't work as expected! New TB arrives on Friday.. Will let you know how I get on!