Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MAF or MAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019 | 05:35 AM
pdeinc
|
2nd Gear
MAF or MAP

Having dealt with this loss of power problem for months now, one thought I've had is that perhaps air is getting into the intake system in such a manner as it's not detected by the MAF or MAP, whichever is used in our Minis. I presume it's MAF but before I start taking everything apart, I'd like some info on where this sensor is located so I can look for intake leaks downstream from it. It's an 09 R55 with the N14 engine.

For those that haven't seen my other posts regarding this problem I have a loss of power that occurs in hot weather when stopping for a traffic light. The power loss goes away once I travel a mile or more so I believe something is warping under the hood from the heat buildup while stopped and once air begins flowing either through the inlet or just through the engine compartment, the leak closes up.

TIA.

Old 08-02-2019 | 11:32 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pdeinc
Having dealt with this loss of power problem for months now, one thought I've had is that perhaps air is getting into the intake system in such a manner as it's not detected by the MAF or MAP, whichever is used in our Minis. I presume it's MAF but before I start taking everything apart, I'd like some info on where this sensor is located so I can look for intake leaks downstream from it. It's an 09 R55 with the N14 engine.

For those that haven't seen my other posts regarding this problem I have a loss of power that occurs in hot weather when stopping for a traffic light. The power loss goes away once I travel a mile or more so I believe something is warping under the hood from the heat buildup while stopped and once air begins flowing either through the inlet or just through the engine compartment, the leak closes up.

TIA.
Here's some screenshots from RealOEM showing the MAF and MAP sensors on an '07 R56 N14. Should be the same locations for yours.

Haven't seen your other posts --- throwing any codes?

The MAF is item #13.

The MAP sensor is item #10.

The MAP/T sensor is item #5.

The following users liked this post:
pdeinc (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019 | 06:11 PM
pdeinc
|
2nd Gear
No, not a single code. At first it was very intermittent, only happening once in awhile with no discernable pattern. As the frequency increased, I began to see similarities, most having to do with heat and being stationary for a period of time. Now that summer's here, it will happen several times a day. I have an app that enables me to display most all parameters and sensors in real time and I've tried to see what if any change when it loses power but no luck.

Right now I'm thinking that when the car is fully warmed up and comes to a stop, the heat builds up under the hood and something changes that affects power. What that is I really don't know but am trying to rule things out one by one.