Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Blue smoke after hard use

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019 | 03:59 PM
Niteshooter
|
1st Gear
Blue smoke after hard use

HI, my new to me 2008 R56 N14 motor Mini is puffing blue smoke. Notice a slight puff occasionally on start but not every time.

But when driven hard, and I pull to a stop and idle for a moment on start off big puff of blue smoke. Even after a cool down period of gentle driving I can get a big puff when taking off gently. Also got a big puff the other day when taking a corner hard/fast. I'm thinking turbo, my 86 Turbo Coupe used to blow blue smoke if I took a hard right hand turn but in the case of the Mini it seems more often.

This car has had it's timing chain, tensioner, and valve cover replaced in the last two years. Fairly complete service records as well and with the VIN lookup no outstanding recalls are showing. No codes in the computer and get no faults with the emissions sensors.

Just waiting to get it back to the shop and will run a compression test, look at the condition of the plugs and look at the turbo.

I did google (R56/N14 blowing blue smoke) and read this thread, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...own-turbo.html but am curious if there was ever a definitive solution, eg turbo, valve guides, etc.

Old 08-19-2019 | 06:27 PM
Niteshooter
|
1st Gear
Followup. Last week I put 1/2 litre of MMO in the crankcase. This helps with sticking rings etc or supposedly does, anyhow that made things worse.

So today I had it in the shop where I got to have a look at a few things, we decided to swap oil to AMSOIL 5w/40 euro blend to see if that made a difference. And it did, not perfect but significantly reduced the cloud of blue smoke after a fast run and if I take it easy I get a little puff if any after idling at a light and start off gently. Prior to this once the car warmed up it would leave a smoke trail that 007 would be proud of. So my guess is rings, car has 255,000 km on it and I knew going it I was going to be doing some work on it as I knew it was going to want a clutch at some point (or are all Mini's clutches that stiff???) so figure while I was in there I would do some work.

Old 09-16-2019 | 12:36 PM
Niteshooter
|
1st Gear
Final follow up. After almost a month with the AMSOIL the puffs of blue smoke were greatly reduced. Seems only when really warmed up and after a period of stop and go driving.

My mechanic buddy suggested trying some heavy duty Lucas oil treatment, figured what the heck I was planning on tearing down the motor this winter anyway. I added 1 litre of this stuff on the weekend and drove the car hard. Incredibly no smoke. Granted I'm not a big fan of junk in my oil to solve wear issues but for now I'll try it and then when we tear the motor down see what is going on. I can't say the car feels any more powerful, just not leaving a 007 grade smoke screen every time I pull away from a traffic light.

Old 09-16-2019 | 12:48 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I think if you do the valve stem seals, the smoke would stop. I got that done of my friend's car and it smokes no more.

Old 09-16-2019 | 12:56 PM
Niteshooter
|
1st Gear
Read about the valve stem seals and yes will definitely have a look at them as well. Did your friends mini smoke only when pulling away from a standstill? That is the only time I get smoke and seems to be reduced when I put in a heavier weight oil and now with the Lucas oil. IMHO both of those a short term fixes and I really want to fix the issue completely so yes the valve stems seals make sense. Probably a lot simpler to do then going into the motor for the rings.

Old 09-16-2019 | 01:03 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
when I had it to do the job, it would smoke in the first start one puff. then when you let it idle, you can barely see it. As soon as you give it gas, it smokes. While driving it doesn't do it as much. once I replaced the seals, it was done for good...

since most likely you'll be doing it with head on, be very careful and maybe close off those oil drains. watch some vids in preparation. I cut some corners and ended up bending a valve because it fell and I thought I can push it with the piston lol...stupid me....lol...I ended up removing the head lol

Old 09-21-2019 | 07:13 AM
Niteshooter
|
1st Gear
My symptoms are slightly different. I don't get a puff on first start and nothing on idle. When cold nothing even pulling away from a stop but once really warmed up or taken for a run on the highway and then pulled up to a light and left to idle on take off big puff of blue.

Since putting in a litre of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer it's completely stopped smoking, even after hard hot highway runs. We suspect in my case the rings which makes sense as the heavy weight oil should help seal better and free up stuck rings. Will keep monitoring/driving and see how it goes. For those with the same symptoms try some Lucas or STP.

At some point we will be taking the engine apart but for now seems to be ok. (famous last words....)

Old 09-23-2019 | 05:53 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
It is cheaper to do the valve stem seals than rings. In the morning/when engine is cold, the plastic is contracted/tighter and as the temps rise, the widen a little to allow seepage. my friend had about 100k on his engine and right after the job, no smoke what so ever. we even thought the turbo was leaking, he replaced it anyway and still smoked. finally, you can do the stem seals with the head on, just have to replace some bolts and reset the timing or do the chain while you there.