Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No start on Cooper S automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start on Cooper S automatic

Starting issue started with initial “click” when pushing ignition switch. Was at random times & only happen once then car started. Still random but became more than one try to start, & always just a click, no turn over. Until now, no start & battery power gone after first day of sitting. When using booster pack to try & start, power comes to battery.
starter gone? Battery issue? Alternator? Electrical? Any help appreciated!

Old 08-31-2019, 05:49 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Sounds like the battery to me. How old is it?

Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
So did I read that correctly, that after sitting for a day, the battery died?
you either have a draw, sucking the battery dry, or the battery is shot, more than likely.
If you do get it to start, take it somewhere and have the battery tested.

The following users liked this post:
AZdsrt (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Sounds like the battery to me. How old is it?
Hi, battery isn’t very old! Year old! Looking on youtube, wondering if i have a wiring issue with transmission? I have P0977 code, solenoid b control circuit high.
Thanks for msg

Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
battery was new in spring of '18.
get this....now my driverside window dropped an inch from top & wont go up!? it will go down, but up to about an inch from top. electric windows.

this is while using battery booster to get power.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Are you having any drivability issues associated with that code? hard shifts or missed gears, etc?
It is sounding now more electrical..... which is out of my comfort zone, but the FRM or Footwell module is known to go out in these..... it may be worth checking, Mini extended the warranty on them for several years and models because of the problem.
Also the windows on some models go down about an inch when you open and close the door, then rolls up the rest of the way. could it not be registering that the door is shut?
I probably didn't help at all, but had a few thoughts to share... Good luck and keep us posted

Old 09-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
Was no driveability issues when running! window issue just started. car has not been starting for over week now. disconnected pos battery connect for a time, then put booster pack to it. window still not fully up. do also think electronic issue now. thanks for your input!

Old 09-01-2019, 03:44 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
If you have a sunroof, check for water leaks. Sometimes the models behind the kick panels start acting it.

Are you closing the window with door open or closed? You might have to re-initialize the windows. Did you notice if the headlights stay on when you turn on the car?

Old 09-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
No sunroof leaks...but wondering if moisture getting in from under front passenger side floorboard? Months ago had jack stand puncture through plastic underneath, inch & half diameter. Could be start of moisture issue that is causing this?!! Wet outside now & haven’t checked headlights when using booster pack, only been myself by car.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:07 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Moisture could be an issue....when you push start, you hear one click and after 3 or 5 seconds your hear another click? my car used to do that when the starter would get stuck. One time it took 1 hour trying to start it and when it did, i drove home and replaced it.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Moisture could be an issue....when you push start, you hear one click and after 3 or 5 seconds your hear another click? my car used to do that when the starter would get stuck. One time it took 1 hour trying to start it and when it did, i drove home and replaced it.
I would get the one click, maybe slight turn over of second, no more than two, but never pushed button long enough for a second click 3 to 5 seconds later. Yes, did become many minutes of trying before start. Still odd is why after first day of sitting, battery seems drawn of power. Have to use booster to bring up power last week & half in trying to start

Old 09-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Mark Larrabee
Neutral
Car running

Battery finally tested & was at 5v & no cold cranking. Had it fully charged & checked, back under hood & we had ignition! Dumb of me to wait almost 2 weeks to do, but was sure starter or electrical issues lurked.