Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Recommendation for engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:45 AM
BRGNigel03
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation for engine rebuild

I need some recommendations for rebuilding the engine on my R55S in the Phoenix area. Short story was driving down the freeway and when I got off the car started running rough. Has a miss fire on cylinder 1 with oil in the combustion chamber. More than likely needs rings on that cylinder. Looking to get an idea for what it would cost to replace the rings or if anyone has any ideas what else it could be. My mechanic said to replace the engine but that is 9K on a car worth less than that.

The car had lost a ring on cylinder 3 at 70K miles and that motor was replace by Mini. I called them since this is the same situation and maybe a stuck injector got moved during the reinstall, they said it is outside of warranty so there was nothing they could do. I did a compression test and three cylinders were ok. 159, 165 and 165. Cylinder 1 was at 56 psi. The car is not blowing smoke out the tailpipe and it has a fair amount of power above 3000 rpms but runs really rough at idle. The spark plug is wet with oil were as the others look fine.

I have not had the time to pull the head and check the condition of the pistons.(Too hot out here now and two little kids that keep me occupied) Just trying to come up with an inexpensive solution to this problem.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:30 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
New engine with only a couple years wear 'n tear, you should be able to get away with just new rings --- IF there's no cylinder or piston damage. You won't know that 'til you do a teardown and inspect. Maybe try a borescope first? If you don't do your own work, talk with Jerry at LeSueur Car Co. in Tempe --- https://www.usedvwaudi.com He's aka EuroTechsAZ and a Mini expert.