Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Intermittent Complete loss of Electrical Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intermittent Complete loss of Electrical Power

I’ve been dealing with this very strange issue the past few months and hoping someone has some ideas as I’m fresh out.

So to start the issue is that the car will lose all electrical power and then will not start (no lights, nothing), acts like it has a completely dead or nearly dead battery. It will start just fine after couple minutes.

How the car loses electrical is pretty interesting. At first, it will start by the cluster acting like the battery is replaced (needles clicking at 0) misc lights on for split second). It will do this for a bit and then get worse, by increasing in frequency and car acting like it’s going to stall out (essentially hiccups). Then finally after this, it can eventually stall out completely.

Once it stalls, I have to wait a few minutes, as trying to restart the car results in nothing. In most cases the SRS warning light will be lit dimly. Once I wait a few mins, then all power comes back and car restarts just fine.

Battery is obviously good, same with the alternator. I’ve checked major grounds points and can’t find any issues.

The only clues I had is that it seems to occur with high electrical loads (A/C on). It used to stop when I turned the A/C off, but now it can happen even with A/C off. The second clue is (and this might just be a weird coincidence) when I bang on the passenger door OR open the door/pull the interior handle, the power comes back right away. I’ve had this happen 2x in a row, so still debating if this is just a coincidence or not. I’ve wiggled wires around in the passenger door connecting door lock actuator and the window motor, speaker and mirror but found nothing.

Only thing left is to check the connection to the starter motor and alternator making sure the positive cables are good and tight.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Old 09-21-2019, 07:57 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground. But I’m really bad with electrical.

there are several major ground locations around the car...from the Bentley manual...

Old 09-21-2019, 08:06 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I checked the major ones that’d have that kind of impact and I haven’t found anything wrong.