Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

A few codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 10:40 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
A few codes

My wife has been driving the car for a while know and she is about as observant as a corpse. I got in the car this last weekend and it had the TPMS and DSC light one. I assume a speed sensor, as that seems to be the main culprit. Plugged in the scanner and got all these messages. See below. Not sure about the GM codes? Cleared them all and some variety of them can back a day later. Non of them showed the speed sensor, so not sure it is it. I them read some where it could be the Steering angle sensor, so I used the scanner to calibrate it and all went okay. Next day, codes are back. This time I pulled the sensor and did the cleaning and minor adjustment of the contact pins. Reinstalled it and could not get it to calibrate. Any thoughts on where next to go?

1613/not present: DME: Serial communication connection, ASC
5E5C- ABS-DSC; Initialize run flat indicator
5E16- CAN Instrumentation
5E1E- Steering Angle Sensor CAN
5E18- CAN: Data Error from Engine ECU
5E11- CAN: Control Module
INSTRUMENT PANEL (KOMBI)
60- CAN Bus, Bus Offline
61- CAN: no communication
67- CAN: no message from KOM2
62- CAN: no ABS message 1
LWS: Can-bus communication fault

Last edited by lotter1; 10-22-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Removed annoying pics and listed codes
Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Just a WAG but it might be a good idea to check the speed sensors to look for a sensor wring harness damage or really anything out of the ordinary with the sensors.

One could consider even replacing them just to throw parts at the codes. While this is often dismissed as amateur auto wrenching sometimes it is all we amateurs have available. Of course to do this or not depends upon the cost of the sensors and how much work is involved and how you would feel if afterwards the symptoms were still present.

If you choose to not throw parts at the symptoms you have to get a high confidence diagnosis as to what is going on. That requires you get lucky and someone here can be more specific with his help or you search online for any further info on the error codes and what they mean.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:53 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
I was contemplating throwing parts at it but found a posting where the guy had all the same symptoms. Turned out it was the tach, so I will start there. Is the tach a dump device or will it need to be programed if moved from car to car?

Last edited by lotter1; 10-22-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:47 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by lotter1
I was contemplating throwing parts at it but found a posting where the guy had all the same symptoms. Turned out it was the tach, so I will start there. Is the tach a dump device or will in need to program a different one to the car?
Can't say if the tach is a dumb device or requires some special procedure to tie it to the car.

My limited experience -- with another car -- was the tach was part of the instrument cluster. The only info I know for sure that was stored in the cluster electronics was the odometer reading. There might have been some settings regarding mph vs. kph, 12/24 hour clock, etc but the odometer was the biggie. I had the original cluster replaced with a used cluster. Afterwards everything was fine -- the problem was the airbag light always on -- this was confirmed to be a cluster problem -- and the cluster LCD developed spiders -- but the tech was unable to edit the odometer mileage (approx 93K) to my car's mileage (around 300K). The computer tools (factory supplied) he had were limited to only changing the odometer mileage if the mileage indicated a new cluster.

There are speedometer repair shops around that can move data from one cluster to another. I knew of one but decided to not bother.

I did note in the car's owners manual the details of the cluster change including the original cluster's miles and the "new" cluster's miles. Also I had the service invoice which detailed this as well and when I sold the ar some 15K miles later I divulged all this to the buyer (the dealer where I had the car serviced).

Old 10-29-2019, 09:15 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Solved! I hope!

Swapped out the tach with one know good one. All the codes cleared except for: 5E1E- Steering Angle Sensor CAN. I reset the sensor and no codes since then. Will keep you posted if thing change.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (10-29-2019)