Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

First cold start issue and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Edoardo Marzi
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
First cold start issue and rough idle

Hi all, this is my first post here.
I really hope you can hep me not getting mad cause i made almost everything to my car but every morning or every time i leave it for 10 or more hours it won't start at first try, but the second goes perfectly.
When it's cold, pressing the throttle caus revs to drop but it clears after 2-3 minutes.
Idle is always not perfect, it's not to rough but it is ahahah
I did timing chain with tensioner and guides, cleaned throttle body, new spark plugs, new cables, new camshaft position sensor, new crankshaft poistion sensor oring, new injector orings (one was bad), cleaned injectors with throttle body cleaner while they were opened by a 9V battery, checked fuel pump for any visual damage but is ok (also with many checks before start the car the problem persists), changed fuel filter, tried the car with all sensor disconnected and with adaptive values resetted so the car should use standard values.
In evry case and scenario the problem occurred, so now i'm getting mad, really, i can't sleep anymore ahahah
Here a short video of the problem

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H4...p2Mz1hS2zc7I2s
My friend was talking loud but you can hear the engine go very roughly
Obviously no errors in the ecu, scanned with inpa and ista d.
If you notice, when it starts bad, the dsc light came on for a second, what could indicate that?
Thanks to everyone who can help me, i'm not the only one with this problem, other 4 minis in my group have it, stock and tuned either, we need help ahaha

Old 11-27-2019, 05:01 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Edoardo Marzi
Hi all, this is my first post here.
I really hope you can hep me not getting mad cause i made almost everything to my car but every morning or every time i leave it for 10 or more hours it won't start at first try, but the second goes perfectly.
When it's cold, pressing the throttle caus revs to drop but it clears after 2-3 minutes.
Idle is always not perfect, it's not to rough but it is ahahah
I did timing chain with tensioner and guides, cleaned throttle body, new spark plugs, new cables, new camshaft position sensor, new crankshaft poistion sensor oring, new injector orings (one was bad), cleaned injectors with throttle body cleaner while they were opened by a 9V battery, checked fuel pump for any visual damage but is ok (also with many checks before start the car the problem persists), changed fuel filter, tried the car with all sensor disconnected and with adaptive values resetted so the car should use standard values.
In evry case and scenario the problem occurred, so now i'm getting mad, really, i can't sleep anymore ahahah
Here a short video of the problem

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H4...p2Mz1hS2zc7I2s
My friend was talking loud but you can hear the engine go very roughly
Obviously no errors in the ecu, scanned with inpa and ista d.
If you notice, when it starts bad, the dsc light came on for a second, what could indicate that?
Thanks to everyone who can help me, i'm not the only one with this problem, other 4 minis in my group have it, stock and tuned either, we need help ahaha
Was thinking maybe the engine coolant temperature sensor acting up and it reads warmer than actual which results in too lean fueling for a cold engine.

But that there are 4 other cars with this behavior would require the other cars developing the same sensor problem concurrently. That's rather unlikely.

Any chance you all filled up at the same gas station and got some bad gas?

Old 11-27-2019, 11:34 PM
Edoardo Marzi
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RockC
Was thinking maybe the engine coolant temperature sensor acting up and it reads warmer than actual which results in too lean fueling for a cold engine.

But that there are 4 other cars with this behavior would require the other cars developing the same sensor problem concurrently. That's rather unlikely.

Any chance you all filled up at the same gas station and got some bad gas?
Hi, thanks for the reply, i checked the temp sensor values with inpa and it shows correct values, i also tried to start the car with the sensor disconnected but nothing changed.
It can’t be a fuel related problem cause i tried in different location in italy and nothing changed.
i run only with premium fuel 100 ron but also with 95 the car won’t start at first start up.
in our group everyone come from different cities so it can’t be the fuel.
one question, i would like to test the fuel pressure at the rail, if i shut off the car the pressure should drop or it should be constant overnight?
thanks again