Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 Unknown problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:05 AM
PAMedic13
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Unknown problem

2009 S hardtop that quit running after getting fuel. I filled the tank and after 3 miles, it starte to miss bad and then shut off. After a few minutes, it started but ran bad but enough to go a couple more miles to a Walmart. Thought it was water in the gas and put a dry gas in. After an hour, it started, ran rough but enough to get it home. I checked the plugs and #4 was filthy and fouled, #3 was not quit as bad but dirty and fouled, #2 was dirty but not fouled, and #1 looked normal. Checked the coils with multi-meter and they checked OK. New plugs ($200 from Mini dealer) and still no start. While it was down, I repaired the turbo oil line leak and changed the oil. Next, no sound from the in tank fule pump priming, changed it and the fuel filter, no start. Watched this video on YouTube
and have no electricity to the coil or DME #1 post. I also have no power to the fuel pump. Put some electricity to the old pump and it ran. I replacedd the relay in the under hood box the video says should be bad, and still no start or fuel pump priming noise. My question is what now? Is there another fuelpump relay? I checked the fuse box on passenger kick plate and it shows a fuse for the fuel and it is fine. All the electrical connetions around the morot I can see/find seem OK and don't see any I missed. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. All my searching here and internet is a little vague for an 2009 R56.
Correction: I pulled a plug and crnked it over, and there iss spark tot he plugs put no fule spray in the cylinder. Also, I have power to the fuel fuse under the dash.

Last edited by PAMedic13; 01-18-2020 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Update.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:53 AM
MINIMI2
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a fuel pump relay hard wired in the passenger foot-well fuse panel. It's become a known failure point in the 2nd generation Mini (r56). When this relay fails you have replace the whole fuse panel, total PITA for a $5 relay. Search for LPFP fuel pump failures and there is some good information available.