Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Blown fuse interfering with other fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020 | 04:01 AM
actasci
|
2nd Gear
Blown fuse interfering with other fuses?

Here is an interesting phenomenon.

Yesterday i noticed when trying to fix rattles, i hit to the fuse box plastic cover with a solid punch, i got steering, abs and esp light at dash. Thinking i might have a blown fuse, i restarted the car but the lights were gone. I hit again and same lights.

Today i got the free time so tried to see what was the problem, i checked steering and abs fuses and they were OK. But at the same row there was a blown fuse (phone fuse but my car doesn't have phone, that fuse was blown because couple of years ago i blown the radio fuse and changed that with this one and that was just resting there), i removed that blown fuse and hit the fuse box couple of times more, there was no lights this time.

I know this sounds absurd but can a blown fuse interfere with other fuses? Or am I looking something more severe here? There seems to be no water or anything like that in the fuse box.

Another thing not related with this topic; the rattle i was trying to fix was coming from the battery; i put couple of plastic feet under the battery and that fixed the rattle.

-update after some driving: while driving today, speedo gone to 0 and then back to where it belongs 3 times in 10 seconds or so. same lights were back on on the dash. after restarting the car, lights were gone again. so it was not interference (that was stupid to think so anyways). it seems that i have bigger problems.

Last edited by actasci; 01-19-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2020 | 04:27 AM
actasci
|
2nd Gear
For future references, even though they looked ok, i changed the fuses related with abs and steering. It fixed the issue.