Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

very strange problem in acceleration mini r56 cooper s lci

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Robyv83
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
very strange problem in acceleration mini r56 cooper s lci

Hi guys, I try to explain the problem of my mini r56 cooper s lci even if it is not easy for me to explain it in English.
Practically I remove all the controls, dsc off, I accelerate to the maximum, if while I accelerate I go on a hole or the asphalt is damaged, the mini cuts the power just as if there was the active dsc. I really feel the car closing the butterfly suddenly and then reopening it shortly thereafter. The other day in an aggressive gear change, between the first gear and the second gear, with asphalt in good condition and dsc off,
instead of a burnout the car he closed the accelerator just like when I hit a hole on the asphalt.
I would like to know if anyone has had the same problem and how you solved it, thanks

Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 AM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not sure if any of those im going to say will be the reason but i will try anyway..
1.Maybe the button for DSC doesnt work..Maybe the wiring is damaged and besides you disable the DSC..it doesnt!
2.When you say its loosing power..is it possible because of bad fuel or bad fuel injectors the time that you need more fuel(bigf load demand enough fuel) the car is unable to deliver the amount of fuel that your engine ask for?

Hope you find out..:/

Old 02-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Robyv83
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Staxtis
I'm not sure if any of those im going to say will be the reason but i will try anyway..
1.Maybe the button for DSC doesnt work..Maybe the wiring is damaged and besides you disable the DSC..it doesnt!
2.When you say its loosing power..is it possible because of bad fuel or bad fuel injectors the time that you need more fuel(bigf load demand enough fuel) the car is unable to deliver the amount of fuel that your engine ask for?

today I replaced spark plugs and coils and the car seems to be going much better

Old 02-16-2020, 03:57 AM
Robyv83
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Staxtis

​​​​​​update, the car is undoubtedly better but still has some problems.
In full acceleration I sometimes hear a metallic noise, it is not a continuous noise, but rather a single tap, when you hear this noise the car has a little hesitation..
Another clue, I don't know if it is connected to the problem, sometimes in cold weather the car starts with a high number of laps, and after a few seconds the laps decrease, this happens every so often, not always.
The car drives smoothly, always starts without uncertainties, the only problems are in full acceleration and not always.And there is also the problem that sometimes closes the accelerator on its own in very fast gear changes between first and second gear, as usual 2 out of 5 times instead of slipping, the car closes the accelerator.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:49 PM
sacaman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi

I think is a super knocking issue I have the same on a hard load you get a bad or a premature ignition that way the car close the injectors for a short period ( the ticketing metallic sound)
I try everything
change full to premium
clean injectors
change coil and spark plugs
but nothing the same issue even asking the dealer the answer is that is normal if the frequency is one time on the hard acceleration

anyone have a similar issue, please share your experience

hope that can help you

Old 02-18-2020, 05:05 PM
Robyv83
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sacaman
hi

I think is a super knocking issue I have the same on a hard load you get a bad or a premature ignition that way the car close the injectors for a short period ( the ticketing metallic sound)
I try everything
change full to premium
clean injectors
change coil and spark plugs
but nothing the same issue even asking the dealer the answer is that is normal if the frequency is one time on the hard acceleration

anyone have a similar issue, please share your experience

hope that can help you
Also I have changed spark, coils, checked and cleaned the injectors, spark cables, cleaned the intake valves,Low pressure pump filter.
I really don't understand where the problem lies, I don't have error codes in the ecu.
The last started could be the hpfp!
Sometimes, twice out of ten, when I start the car in cold, the idle speed is high and I hear small bangs at the exhaust, but after a few seconds everything returns to normal, the car always starts and never switches off, so I really don't know if it could be the hpfp!
It would take an expert to enlighten us!

Old 02-21-2020, 05:35 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
it is normal to rev a little high in cold weather. mine sometimes reaches 1200 RPM and then it goes to normal few seconds later. One thing to remember is the Minis are not race cars, they are sport cars and in some cases it will act up when you push on it. Keep in mind that generally BMW/MINI have something called adaptation. the car learns your driving habits to give you the same comfort all the time. if all of a sudden you're pushing on it, it will get "confused" and starts acting up trying to figure out if "really" meant it to fly. Also, make sure the spark plugs are gapped properly.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:03 AM
Robyv83
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
it is normal to rev a little high in cold weather. mine sometimes reaches 1200 RPM and then it goes to normal few seconds later. One thing to remember is the Minis are not race cars, they are sport cars and in some cases it will act up when you push on it. Keep in mind that generally BMW/MINI have something called adaptation. the car learns your driving habits to give you the same comfort all the time. if all of a sudden you're pushing on it, it will get "confused" and starts acting up trying to figure out if "really" meant it to fly. Also, make sure the spark plugs are gapped properly.
Thank you very much for the reply.
Unfortunately for language problems I can't make myself understood, so I apologize.
I know it is normal for the idle to be high when the car is cold, what is not normal is the fact that the car often does not have the high idle when cold, and when the idle is high the car makes bangs from the exhaust and the rotation speed is irregular.
Finally, the spark plugs are new, the coils are new, new filters, everything is new so in my opinion the only suspects are the high pressure pump or the low pressure pump, I would like to understand if I am wrong in the diagnosis.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:10 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Maybe the ECU is reacting the temperature outside. 1 degree can make a difference. The popping sound makes me believe your engine is dumping more fuel, right? You might want to buy a scan tool that allows you to read live data to check the fuel pressure. New spark plugs doesn't always mean they're gapped properly, so give it a try an check at least one. I think the spec is around .03 (not sure of the unit).