Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mini Cooper R53 2004 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 02:32 PM
egm23
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper R53 2004 won't start

Hi
I own a 2004 Mini Cooper S, I try to start but the vehicle won’t start. I read on the internet that a possible cause is that the clutch safety switch does not work. I replace the clutch safety switch today and the condition continues. When I turn the key all the lights on the odometer turn on but the mini does not start. Please if any knows how I can repair this problem or possible solutions.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2020, 06:09 PM
bdubya
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When you try to start it, does the starter not crank at all (engine doesn't do anything) or does the starter crank and turn the engine but the engine doesn't start running?

(And are you sure your battery is fully charged?)

Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 PM
egm23
Neutral
Hi
When I try to start and turn the switch does not make any noise, only the lights of odometer turn on. I checked the battery and it has the rated 12 volts dc.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2020, 11:57 AM
bdubya
2nd Gear
If you don't even hear a click from the engine compartment, my first two guesses would be a bad ground connection or a bad starter (I had the same symptoms on my '04 a couple of years ago - found a starter at a salvage yard for $50 which fixed the problem). The starter takes a little bit of work to get to (have to remove a heat shield and the exhaust header), but once you get to it you can test it with a remote start switch.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:48 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by bdubya
The starter takes a little bit of work to get to (have to remove a heat shield and the exhaust header), but once you get to it you can test it with a remote start switch.
Not to say this is the OP's issue, but it's easier to tackle the starter replacement from underneath.
Removal of power steering fan, lower/rear engine mount and passenger-side axle (all fairly easy) will give you unblocked access to starter without having to remove heat shields or exhaust header.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:10 PM
bdubya
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Not to say this is the OP's issue, but it's easier to tackle the starter replacement from underneath.
Removal of power steering fan, lower/rear engine mount and passenger-side axle (all fairly easy) will give you unblocked access to starter without having to remove heat shields or exhaust header.
I did it from both sides - had it up on jacks, pulled the heat shield and header (neither of which was difficult at all) and then came at it from both sides depending on what bolts I was after. Honestly don't recall if I ultimately pulled it out from the top or bottom. Me, I'd rather pull the header and shield than the axle and mount, but neither answer is wrong.

More pertinent to the OP is, what's the easiest way to access the solenoid terminal, in order to test the starter without pulling it? I don't recall if if was accessible with just the heat shield removed or not. Do you recall if the terminal was accessible from below (maybe with just pulling the steering fan)?

Old 03-06-2020, 06:14 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by bdubya
More pertinent to the OP is, what's the easiest way to access the solenoid terminal, in order to test the starter without pulling it? I don't recall if if was accessible with just the heat shield removed or not. Do you recall if the terminal was accessible from below (maybe with just pulling the steering fan)?
Terminals are on the top-side, per THIS photo in Pelican's starter replacement tutorial.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:55 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you checked the ignition switch? Easy to get to and check. The switch contacts can arc and cause a non start issue as they fall out of spec. The switch can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned restoring the switch to a working order. To pull the switch and check the contacts can be done in less then 30 minutes. You will want to use a multimeter and check pins 5 and 8. If they read above 0.6 ohms the switch is out of spec. Dissemble the switch and take emery cloth or some wet dry sand paper and run it between the contact points until back in spec. Doesn’t take much to get the connection back to spec if this is the issue. Make sure you reassemble the switch correctly as some people have problems putting them back together.

The following users liked this post:
egm23 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 AM
egm23
Neutral
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Terminals are on the top-side, per THIS photo in Pelican's starter replacement tutorial.
Hi
I replace the starter and turn the key and the mini won’t start again. I checked the relays and the fuse box continuity and are in good condition. Please if anyone can say me what I can do know.

Thanks

PD. This video shows how to change starter

Last edited by egm23; 03-29-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:00 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Please take a look here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-switch.html

This is the first item I check when I have a no start issue. The ignition switch will stop the car from starting as it controls the start signal for the car.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:14 PM
egm23
Neutral
Originally Posted by DamnCampers
Please take a look here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-switch.html

This is the first item I check when I have a no start issue. The ignition switch will stop the car from starting as it controls the start signal for the car.
Hi there I try to start my Mini Cooper S 2004 and the ignition barrel get stuck. I took a video of what is happening. If any know how to fix the problem will be appreciated.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:49 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by egm23
Hi there I try to start my Mini Cooper S 2004 and the ignition barrel get stuck. I took a video of what is happening. If any know how to fix the problem will be appreciated. https://youtu.be/72GQeTnMaAI
Just making an assumption here you probably worked on the ignition switch. If you did, take the ring off and move the small piece around the ring. It should make contact on the spring that is in the ring. That is what gives the switch the ability to spring back after starting. If that small piece is out of place it will not let it turn all the way like it needs to. I made the same mistake the first time I took one apart.