Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rebuild or replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 04:38 AM
booyah93
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Rebuild or replace

If I rebuild and it needs more than a clutch, I will pay someone because I am tired of working on this car.

If I replace I'll pay up to $1k to get as low milage transmission I can get.

02 - 04 R50 199,550 miles

Thursday I replaced the transmission mount, and Friday night I drove home a tipsy, and grinded the gears going from second to third and third to fourth. I was getting up to speed to get on the highway so the car was being pushed a little, but nothing abnormal. I figured I was messing up because of the mild inebriated state I was in, it's the second time I've driven with alcohol in me and I woefully regret the decision.

Saturday morning the car slams into reverse, and the clutch was jerky and lacked a smooth feel. Seemed like it was catching and letting go, not full blown slipping. Being in first gear with my foot pressing all the way on the clutch made my car idle much rougher and this idling issue stopped when I pulled the shifter out of first and into neutral. Getting into gear at all in first through fourth was difficult and persisted when I got off work. Symptoms weren't noticable when on a forward slope. If the car was facing down hill I could get into reverse without problem and first gear didn't cause any idling issues
Snight (last night) I replaced the transmission fluid with the only fluid I had, which was 75w - 80 GL-5. I have redline on the way.

Sunday morning (this morning) the shifter slammed into reverse and crunched a little. The clutch continues to be unsure or jumpy, and now something new. With the car out of gear and revving up the engine a whine like maybe rubber on rubber would start at about 2,700RPM. Being in gear didn't change this noise.

I'm gonna try the redline, hopefully it shows up soon. If I need new synchros and gears and bearings how much would it cost to pay someone to replace all of these? Basically a total refresh? If I get a used 60k transmission what are my options? I've seen many 6 speed transmissions off of 04 R53s. Can I use the 6 speed on my car which is originally a 5 speed?

Thank you everyone. BTW I don't think the transmission fluid has been replaced since the last clutch job with the previous owner 5 years ago.

Last edited by booyah93; 03-01-2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Clarification