Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Brake bleeding with ISTA+ on R56 w/ DSC

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020 | 07:39 PM
cpmetz
|
3rd Gear
Brake bleeding with ISTA+ on R56 w/ DSC

Ok, this is driving me crazy. I know, brake bleeding is hard, but I'd like some input from someone who did that successfully before.

So after I had pretty bad brake fade at my last track day at Laguna Seca and almost exited the track in turn 5, I decided it's again time to flush brakes. Just flushed maybe 3 track days before with ATE Type 200.

Eventually, I did: Rebuild rear right brake caliper (rubber was cracked). Probably got some air into the brake line.

Then I did:
* Flushed approx. 1.3 liters of ATE Type 200 through the system (started rear right, then rear left, then front right, then front left) using a Motive Power Bleeder at about 1 bar.

After that:
* Brake pedal nice and hard when engine is off. Turned on engine, and pedal basically went to the floor.

Me: Great. Air in the DSC unit.

Got ISTA+ working again on my laptop, then ran through the DSC Brake Bleed instructions (I would count the flushing that I did as pre-bleeding).
* For every corner, it first activates the valves, then I push fluid using the power bleeder through the lines (again, at approx 1 bar) for the 60s.

Did that for all 4 corners according to instructions.

But again, soft pedal after starting the engine.

I then did some random activation of valves with INPA and it got a bit better, but still from perfect (in my humble opinion).

Questions:
* How much fluid do you push through the system for each of the corners (especially after a caliper rebuild)?
* Did you successfully perform brake bleeding with ISTA+?
* To what pressure did you pump up your power bleeder?

Should I expect the same firmness with engine off as with engine on? Maybe I'm just chasing the white rabbit.

Cheers,
Philip.

Old 03-30-2020 | 11:15 AM
minidd99
3rd Gear
I have just done a brake fluid flush on my 2012 R59 and flushed about 1 and a half litres through the system with no problems.
I did it the old fashion way with 2 people and pumping brake pedal and opening and closing bleed screws.
Was very careful to not let any air in the system.
I started at right rear then left rear, right front then left front.