Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine knocking at idle and gets faster when accelerator is pushed/revved

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020 | 04:47 PM
EpicUnciat
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Pneumo
Well then! Quick diagnosis and it looks like my accessory belt is WELL past due for a replacement. There is a 4-5 inch chunk of the inside grooved portion of belt missing.... I'm lucky it didn't let go entirely.

I have a Bentley manual and the replacement looks pretty straight forward. My question is, what else is suggested to be replaced at the same time? I know on the Mercedes vans I'm familiar with, you replace pulleys and the like along with the belt where possible. Is this the case with the mini? Or should I just inspect and replace pulleys/parts as needed?

Thank in advance, I really appreciate having active forums to bounce ideas and info off of in times like this.

It isn't much advice from me but when I took it into BMW for a diagnosis and they told me the belt needed replaced it was just the belt none of the pulled, tensioner, ect.

On the second diagnosis they did find the friction wheel to have some issues although it isn't the cause of the knocking sound. They've also found a bad battery, which is now dead....

Currently I'm just waiting for the shop on my base to open back up so I don't have to buy all the tools.

Old 05-17-2020 | 02:52 AM
giorgos
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Pneumo
My question is, what else is suggested to be replaced at the same time?
Getting to and replacing the belt is easy (remove passenger wheel, fold back front half of the wheel house lining, lock belt tensioner). So I would simply change the belt for the time being and use the opportunity to check on the tensioner pulley, the friction wheel assembly (whether its pulley spins freely) and the water pump pulley (whether its surface is damaged or smooth). If any one of them needs to be replaced, you can then do so as required.